anybody used to drink folgers instant?

idrinkcoffee2011

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
anybody used to drink folgers instant here? they used to have a really powerful rush that powers you through the whole day. but then they really messed up and their instant started tasting like chemical poison.

and brewed just couldn't compared, i tried dunkin donut brewed and it just felt lacking by far. i have tried different instants to brewed ones, from european to american. there just nothing like the powerful rush folgers instant used to have.

i heard people talked about many cups of brewed throughout the day. you didn't need to do that with folgers instant. about 4tsp got me through the whole day.

anybody in the same boat here?

MyMugsHalfFull

Sep 24, 2012
Visit site
"There's nothing better than waking up... To Folger's in your cup...."

I remember those commercials. I also remember that you could get a HUUUGE tin for $5...

Although Folgers was already on the down and out by the time I started in on the coffee drinking scene. It's tough to find a good cup of coffee first thing in the morning anywhere really.. Best to brew it at home, instant or not...

idrinkcoffee2011

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
No way. I would safely bet that there aren't many instant coffee drinkers here. The people here are all about quality.

that depends on how you define quality. i tried a lot of brewed coffees. no matter how much you drink, rush hits a plateau. there no crash threshold in my experience. theres no control over the rush power.

with folgers instant when it was good, there was crash threshold. so too much can actually crash you and you had control.

eldub

Mar 28, 2012
Visit site
that depends on how you define quality. i tried a lot of brewed coffees. no matter how much you drink, rush hits a plateau. there no crash threshold in my experience. theres no control over the rush power.

with folgers instant when it was good, there was crash threshold. so too much can actually crash you and you had control.

I'm pretty sure topher is defining quality as taste of product.

While i don't really understand what you are trying to say in the above quote above, it reminds me of something someone in an alcohol/drug recovery program might say.

idrinkcoffee2011

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
I'm pretty sure topher is defining quality as taste of product.

While i don't really understand what you are trying to say in the above quote above, it reminds me of something someone in an alcohol/drug recovery program might say.

likewise. guess some folks just drink it for taste and not as stimulus. though coffee has been regard as stimulus since its earlier usage in europe and so on. and in defining stimulus, either it works or doesn't. not everyone see things the same way and are on the same page, this happens.

eldub

Mar 28, 2012
Visit site
LOL Good answer, mon.

If you are looking for the caffeine buzz, check out a quality robusta bean.

The owner of the business next to our shop asked me for something strong the other day and I made her a cup consisting of 1/3 organic mexican robusta that she topped with coconut milk. She said she was more interested in effect than taste. It must have doen the trick because she came in yesterday for the same concoction. hehe

Btw, I've been eating freshly roasted coffee beans lately for a quick pick-me-up. Guatemalan Quiche roasted to 440* is especially tasty.

Last edited:

MyMugsHalfFull

Sep 24, 2012
Visit site
I am partial to checolate covered coffee beans once in a while (Cafe Britt - Costa Rican Coffee), and those give a nice pick me up. It isn't always true that the instant coffees don't have a kick, I imagine it depends a lot on age, how it is stored etc.

I remember buying a can of "Presto" that really packed a punch!

idrinkcoffee2011

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
well i mean its like great sex. if you never had great ones and only bad or mediocre ones, how can you know what you are missing? thats my principle whether you like my metaphor or not. :decaf:

man i can't believe there some many ineffective coffee out there these days.

Last edited:

MyMugsHalfFull

Sep 24, 2012
Visit site
well i mean its like great sex. if you never had great ones and only bad or mediocre ones, how can you know what you are missing. thats my principle whether you like my metaphor or not. :decaf:

man i can't believe there some many ineffective coffee out there these days.

That is true... Once you have had an excellent coffee, everything else just seems... Meh... But before then, any ol cup of joe would do.

I remember thinking that McDonalds coffee was palatable... *shudder*... I've been ruined for life for most coffee that comes from a large chain.. They just don't put the effort into it, and because it's for mass sale, it obviously can't have the same quality as fresh brewed from a smaller cafe.

KofaCoffee

Oct 10, 2012
Visit site
When I was starting to drink coffee regularly the whole instant scene was starting to fade. I have tried it a few times just to see what it tasted like and while I didn't enjoy the taste (at all hah) I did notice it as providing quite a pick me up.

crlssctt

Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
Hah! I was just telling someone about this.

I'm originally from Mexico, and Folger's could only be had on rare occasions that we had a little extra cash and were able to go to the import store. On a daily basis however, we had Nescafe instant.
Now the smells, like so many moments of melancholy, are accompanied by memories of my grandfather sneaking me a taste.

Anyway, I hate the stuff... hehehh, i'll sometimes cook with it, but I don't dare "drink-it
per se

anybody used to drink folgers instant here? they used to have a really powerful rush that powers you through the whole day. but then they really messed up and their instant started tasting like chemical poison.

and brewed just couldn't compared, i tried dunkin donut brewed and it just felt lacking by far. i have tried different instants to brewed ones, from european to american. there just nothing like the powerful rush folgers instant used to have.

i heard people talked about many cups of brewed throughout the day. you didn't need to do that with folgers instant. about 4tsp got me through the whole day.

anybody in the same boat here?

CoffeeMate

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site
That is true... Once you have had an excellent coffee, everything else just seems... Meh... But before then, any ol cup of joe would do.

I remember thinking that McDonalds coffee was palatable... *shudder*... I've been ruined for life for most coffee that comes from a large chain.. They just don't put the effort into it, and because it's for mass sale, it obviously can't have the same quality as fresh brewed from a smaller cafe.

Now wait one cotton picking minute - Don't trash my McDonald's coffee :coffee: (friendly fire)

I pretty much agree with the post in this thread. However, when you are on the road and you have a taste for coffee; I have yet to find some chain that can compete with McDonalds coffee.

I have heard that Dunkin Donuts serves up a mean cup of Joe but when I am on the road and want a good cup of coffee, I have been reluctant to try Dunkin Donuts. Perhaps I will in the near future just to find out if they are a good backup.

callmecow

Sep 16, 2013
Mississippi
Visit site
I used the drink it alot because my parents didn't have a machine and they ONLY drank folgers instant. So i grew up drinking it too. About 4 years ago i decided to buy a drip machine and some ground community coffee. After that first cup, i thought the instant was worse than poison. I more than likely will never drink it again.

idrinkcoffee2011

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
I used the drink it alot because my parents didn't have a machine and they ONLY drank folgers instant. So i grew up drinking it too. About 4 years ago i decided to buy a drip machine and some ground community coffee. After that first cup, i thought the instant was worse than poison. I more than likely will never drink it again.

but does the brew produce buzz as powerful as what folgers instant was.

i experimented with strainer brewing and found not all brew brands were the same, some obviously better buzz than others. same goes for instants.