Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Ethiopia Yirgacheffe Coffee

This is a discussion on Ethiopia Yirgacheffe Coffee within the Coffee Reviews forums, part of the Coffee Addicts category; True snobs are those who look down on people or belittle them. Someone who is "an eccentric guy who is willing to share his passion ...

Super Moderator
    True snobs are those who look down on people or belittle them. Someone who is "an eccentric guy who is willing to share his passion and knowledge for wine (or coffee, or chocolate etc.) while demystifying the process" really isn't a snob, unless he does it in a condescending way (like making fun of people or making them feel bad).

I think other terms instead of snob should be used for those of us who appreciate the finest coffee, wines, chocolates, etc. Perhaps connoisseur, or aesthete, or dilettante, (Difficult to pronounce, but both mean somone who enjoys something with discrimination and appreciation of subtleties.)

I've never been called a coffee snob.....however, I've been referred to as being fussy about the coffee I drink. I'll take fussy over snob any day!

We're getting off track in this thread. I still think Ethiopia Yirgacheffe Coffee is a very good coffee and worthy of trying if you haven't already done so.

Rose
    Last edited by PinkRose; 01-03-2013 at 06:32 AM.

2. # ADS

I totally agree with you Rose... I just have more harsh words for people who are rude, unforgiving, and careless about other people.

Maybe we should start a new Thread....

The shop I work at serves Ethiopia Yirgacheffe as a dark roast&I'll never understand why. I asked the owner and she said "we don't have enough dark roasts". Did I mention I don't understand?

Duhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh... lol... This bit needs to be in SNL.... I would laugh my ass off if ever see it...

Quote Originally Posted by Anamandy View Post
    Is this coffee all it's cracked up to be? I ordered a bag of it from Brainybeans and was wondering if it's as wonderful as they say it is? I haven't received it yet as I just ordered it today. Anyone ever try this coffee?
    I buy mine from a local roaster and it is my favorite coffee.

Since it has been a month since you ordered the coffee, did you like it? What do you think of it?

Try Sidamo... another wonderful coffee

It has a wonderful scent but not much body. I received bags from two different online specialty roasters and they both were the same - wonderful scent but not much body. The second pot I made I added extra grinds to the pot and still came away wanting. I think it has to do with the fact that it is a light roast. I prefer a Columbian dark roast.

Yirgacheffe tends to be light and bright. Maybe not everyones' cup of tea. hehe

Super Moderator
    Anamandy,

Since you prefer a Columbian dark roast, it's understandable that you weren't too thrilled about the Yirgacheffe coffee. I imagine that it probably tasted like weak tea to you.

Rose

Yirgacheffe is a small coffee growing region within the province of Sidamo. So, it should not be a surprise that Sidamo and Yirgacheffe coffees have much in common. Yirgacheffe coffees are among those grown in the highest altitudes of any coffee, with some farms at over 2,000 meters above sea level. Ethiopian coffees are highly variable from year-to-year and often change greatly in flavor. This seems to be a good year for Ethiopian coffee, with many different types available. From my experience, the lighter roasts bring out the floral and berry characteristics while darker roasts accentuating chocolate, and fuller fruit flavors.

I can understand the reaction of the coffee tasting "weak" in a light roast, but when darker roasted even to Full City level, the coffee changes completely with heavier darker flavors. My suggestion is that if you are feeling the coffee is too light or weak in flavor, that if you are roasting it yourself - take it all the way to Full City, let it rest for 3-4 days, and see if that doesn't change the flavor to something more to your liking.

Unfortunately, if you don't roast your own coffee, you're sort of at the mercy of the roaster to decide what they think is "best" as they would have a hard time doing an entire batch at a different level than what they've developed the roast profile for through cupping test roasts.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Ads