Ethiopia Yirgacheffe Coffee

Anamandy

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
Is this coffee all it's cracked up to be? I ordered a bag of it from Brainybeans and was wondering if it's as wonderful as they say it is? I haven't received it yet as I just ordered it today. Anyone ever try this coffee?

eldub

Mar 28, 2012
Visit site
I like it. We roast a washed yirg light/medium with good results. The bean has a bit of floral/lemony character at that roast level.

eldub

Mar 28, 2012
Visit site
Btw, there are also naturally processed yirgacheffe beans out there that take on a fruitier character in the cup than the washed variety, from what I've read. I'd really like to find a natural yirg to bring into our shop, but have yet to come across certified organic supply.

However, we do roast a natural Ethiopian Sidamo that is really interesting in a fruity/blueberry way.

CoffeeJunky

Dec 7, 2012
Michigan, US
Visit site
I agree with Eldub. Yirg is one of my favorite coffee. One of the best coffee I have roasted. When you roast medium light(first crack and 3 more mins after before second crack) I taste hint of chocolate, earthy, and wonderful aroma invite you to just taste it more. I have gotten consistently 95 or better on my yirgacheffe by reputable local Batista. I also love Sidamo but I have not roasted very many of them.

PinkRose

Super Moderator
Staff member
Feb 28, 2008
Near Philadelphia, PA
Visit site
Although I prefer Papua New Guinea, Ethiopia Yirgacheffe is also a very good choice.

I don't buy Ethiopia Yirgacheffe because it brings back bad memories.....

Once upon a time, I began working at my first cafe, and for their opening couple of weeks, they sold brewed Ethiopia Yirgacheffe coffee in addition to the espresso based drinks and teas. At the time, I didn't know much about coffees/origins/etc. and the owner made fun of me because I asked why they chose that particular coffee. (I also asked how to pronounce it because I had no clue.) I guess you could say they were trying very hard to be coffee snobs, because they also appeared to be learning as they went along. It was very unsettling to me to be treated that way, even though I observed that many of the customers who walked through the door also had no clue what Ethiopia Yirgacheffe was.

Anyway, after a few days went by they "let me go" and used the excuse that they were overstaffed for their opening, and they were having problems with their finances (they really didn't plan very well). They continued to have money problems and within two years, they were closing their doors. I have to admit that I totally enjoyed seeing the place empty when I drove by after they closed their doors.

Whenever I see Ethiopia Yirgacheffe I immediately think of that experience, particularly the way they made fun of me. Luckily, I quickly moved on. I've learned a lot and I've had the opportunity to taste and discover all sorts of coffees over the years, and I enjoy many of them.

I wish I had discovered the Coffee Forums website back then! This is a fantastic place to get information and learn about the world of coffee.

Rose

eldub

Mar 28, 2012
Visit site
I dislike coffee snobs as much as I dislike wine snobs. (I have years of experience in the wine industry.)

My goal is to demystify the coffee experience just as I attempted to do when I sold wine. Coffee education is a big part of what we do in our shop. I've never figured out why some people feel the need to lord over others with their (supposedly) superior knowledge. Our goal is to create a relaxed atmosphere where people can come to buy coffee and tea and maybe learn a bit in the process, if they so desire.

daneja72

Dec 28, 2012
Boise, Idaho
Visit site
Our thoughts of what a coffe snob must be different. I consider myself a coffee snob just because I am picky with the coffee I drink or buy. I will not drink coffee out of a big can from the supermarket...from what I understand are typically robusto. However I do not look down on anyone who does.

eldub

Mar 28, 2012
Visit site
Coffee snobs, imo, generally are folks who work in coffee shops and enjoy making customers/coworkers feel bad about their perceived lack of coffee knowledge.

I don't consider someone a snob simply because they have developed their sense of taste to the point of being able differentiate between something that tastes good and bad to them.

eldub

Mar 28, 2012
Visit site
LOL Speaking of wine snobs......

I just looked at Slate and they have an article this morning about Randall Grahm, owner of Bonny Doon Vineyard in the Santa Cruz mountains of California. Randall touches on wine snobs in the article. I used to live in the santa cruz mountains a couple of hills behind Bonny Doon. I had the chance to spend a bit of time with Mr Grahm. he's the opposite of a snob, imo. Randall is a really down to earth, eccentric guy who is willing to share his passion and knowledge for wine while demystifying the process. I only post this because of the similarity between the wine and coffee industries.

You can be a wine snob too! - Salon.com

CoffeeJunky

Dec 7, 2012
Michigan, US
Visit site
call me wine snobs, or call me coffee snobs but don't call me an a** H***. lol I think some people do make mistakes and take joke way too far. In result, you end up hurting someones feeling. Many people who do not care about feeling of others don't deserve labeling other then A-hole.... that is my opinion.....

PinkRose

Super Moderator
Staff member
Feb 28, 2008
Near Philadelphia, PA
Visit site
True snobs are those who look down on people or belittle them. Someone who is "an eccentric guy who is willing to share his passion and knowledge for wine (or coffee, or chocolate etc.) while demystifying the process" really isn't a snob, unless he does it in a condescending way (like making fun of people or making them feel bad).

I think other terms instead of snob should be used for those of us who appreciate the finest coffee, wines, chocolates, etc. Perhaps connoisseur, or aesthete, or dilettante, (Difficult to pronounce, but both mean somone who enjoys something with discrimination and appreciation of subtleties.)

I've never been called a coffee snob.....however, I've been referred to as being fussy about the coffee I drink. I'll take fussy over snob any day!

We're getting off track in this thread. I still think Ethiopia Yirgacheffe Coffee is a very good coffee and worthy of trying if you haven't already done so.

Rose

Last edited:

maxpower

Sep 29, 2012
Visit site
Is this coffee all it's cracked up to be? I ordered a bag of it from Brainybeans and was wondering if it's as wonderful as they say it is? I haven't received it yet as I just ordered it today. Anyone ever try this coffee?

I buy mine from a local roaster and it is my favorite coffee.

Since it has been a month since you ordered the coffee, did you like it? What do you think of it?