Costa Rica La Lia - Roasted Locally

TENN

Sep 16, 2013
Visit site
Just picked this up at a local coffee shop that roasts its own coffee:

ECCD15F4-D2E2-4495-9A94-6D84251A1205-535-0000006719CD302A_zpsd1f4ed4e.jpg

0CA698DC-95F5-450E-A8B2-B9D99014A4A2-535-000000673D851F0C_zps9b6c8d79.jpg

Can't wait to grind some of this up in the morning!

Not sure what supplier they got it from or anything. It was roasted on Sept. 16, so it should be about ready to brew!

TENN

Sep 16, 2013
Visit site
Honestly, I've never detected any flavors like that in coffee, but, I haven't been looking, either. I have definitely tasted a remote, bittersweet chocolate/cocoa flavor in coffee before.

If they say so, lol.

I dunno if my taster is that refined, but I'll give 'er a go!

Impressions coming tomorrow...

namballe

Aug 24, 2012
Lima, Peru
Visit site
what you gotta do is, close your eyes with a mouthful of coffee, and imagine what flavor is in your mouth. sounds strange but thats what i do, everyday! i guess you need a palate for that. :)

PinkRose

Super Moderator
Staff member
Feb 28, 2008
Near Philadelphia, PA
Visit site
I think it's a great idea to put the tasting notes on the package!

I've discovered flavors in coffee totally by accident.

I've taken a sip of coffee and walked away to do something else, and suddenly get a subtle feeling that I've recently eaten some chocolate, or blueberries, etc. It's been a nice surprise to be able to taste the flavors that the "pros" have been tasting all along.

Rose

eldub

Mar 28, 2012
Visit site
Brew the beans and let the cup cool down a bit. Take a sip and aerate the coffee in your mouth by opening your lips a bit and breathing in like sucking on a straw (without swallowing.) This process will disperse the liquid over your palate Then close your mouth and swallow.

That's how we evaluate wine and it works for coffee, too.

TENN

Sep 16, 2013
Visit site
Just ground some beans and brewed some up in the BUNN...

First impressions:

The beans don't have as strong or rich an aroma as the last half-lb. of fresh roast that I picked up in Memphis last week. Definitely more subtle...and these beans are roasted fairly light. The barista told me that they roast all their beans fairly light in order to let the flavors come through. It may be that my last beans, bought from Republic Coffee in Memphis and roasted at High Point in New Albany, MS., were roasted darker. In fact, I know they were.

Nice aroma as I ground the La Lia.

Now that I take my first few sips, I can definitely pick up the citrus notes, and, since they so kindly put the flavor notes on the bag, it's easy for me to pick up those flavors. The Key Lime is definitely the "base note." Ordinarily, I don't care for the "brighter-tasting" coffees, but this is different than anything I've had before, in that it's got the citrus flavors without being bitter or leaving an aftertaste.

Maple? I dunno... Maybe a little maple aftertaste here. Definitely leaves a nice, rich flavor on the palate. No question it's a very high-quality bean.

Great caffeine kick after only a few sips! I understand that more caffeine is retained when the beans are roasted for a shorter period of time?

I'll have my second cup here in a little bit...

eldub

Mar 28, 2012
Visit site
From a technical standpoint, I'd consider the key lime component to be a top note. The maple would maybe be more associated with the bottom end.

TENN

Sep 16, 2013
Visit site
From a technical standpoint, I'd consider the key lime component to be a top note. The maple would maybe be more associated with the bottom end.

Oh, OK - I'm sure you're right. I don't have the terminology down, and my palate isn't refined enough yet to be able to tell a base note from a top note!

All I know is, the Lime flavor seems to be the most prominent component.

TENN

Sep 16, 2013
Visit site
Brewed some of the La Lia for the second time this morning. Wow, this is some really easy-drinking coffee. I drained my first cup in a few minutes - unusual for me.

eldub

Mar 28, 2012
Visit site
Hope I didn't offend you. I'm just big into analyzing the flavor components of coffee and wine.

Enjoy your Costa Rican beans. We're opening a new bag in the nest couple of weeks and I'm excited to check 'em out.

lw

TENN

Sep 16, 2013
Visit site
Hope I didn't offend you. I'm just big into analyzing the flavor components of coffee and wine.

Enjoy your Costa Rican beans. We're opening a new bag in the nest couple of weeks and I'm excited to check 'em out.

lw

Of course not! I'm here to learn, and, as of now, I know virtually nothing of analyzing flavors in coffee. Just getting started! I am here to learn, and I appreciate any info you can provide! Thanks for your comments!

TENN

Sep 16, 2013
Visit site
When the Tasting Notes are listed on the package, are they listed in order of prominence?

Good question. IMHO, they were in this case, as the Key Lime was definitely the most prominent. I wish I could let some of you connoisseurs try it and give your opinion!

eldub

Mar 28, 2012
Visit site
Rose: When I describe a wine I tend to start with the flavored detected on the tip of the tongue and work my way back to the throat. However, if one flavor is dominant I might start there.