Caribbean coffee beans

Zosia

Oct 25, 2013
Caribbeans
Visit site
Can anyone share any experience with Caribbean coffee beans excluding Jamaican? What is going on with Haitian coffee, which suppose to be good sometime ago? Dominican Republic? Trinidad?

JumpinJakJava

Dec 12, 2011
Thomaston, CT
Visit site
I can speak directly for 10/11 crop of Dom. Rep.(Belarminio Ramirez E Hijos S.A.) Estate.
They own 850 acres dedicated to coffee production in the highest mountains of Jarabacoa, between the 2650 and 5000
feet above sea level in the Cordillera Central Mountain range in the Dominican Republic.
• Region: Cibao Alturra
• Type: Arabica Coffee
• Variety Botany: Caturra and Typical
• Shade: Partial
• Drying System: Sun / Rotary Dryers
• Harvesting: 100% ripe beans, washed and pulped the same day.
• Coffee characteristics: low acidity, as founded typically in The Dominican Republic. Good mouth feel.
With hints of chocolate(mocha) and hazelnuts and a well-rounded body(Soft/Medium body).
At the Full City Plus to Vienna roast, some cuppers have found green apple and toasted almond.
##My personal taste buds could not pick these up though, so I will not make the claims.(that is the green apple and toasted almond).
Overall a very good coffee. If I purchase more, this estate will be in mind.

I sampled some Haiti about 4 years ago. Lot of insect bores and chipped and hulled green coffee.
But I always believe it is what is in the cup that counts! (a lot of Indonesian green coffee has many defects too.)
I will continue to buy Sumatran and Java coffees.
The Haitian coffee was very chocolatey, good body,this is my memory. The screen size was very small in the sample.
I did not purchase any. Not sure how current crop is doing.
Never tried Trinidad nor Puerto Rico.

CoffeeLovers

Jun 7, 2013
Visit site
Caribbean coffee has very distinctive taste which is sweet and strong. You can distinguish the taste when you try to compare this coffee with other coffees. I don’t know if anyone has tried what I had tasted.

peterjschmidt

Oct 10, 2013
Milwaukee, WI
Visit site
Caribbean coffee has very distinctive taste which is sweet and strong. You can distinguish the taste when you try to compare this coffee with other coffees. I don’t know if anyone has tried what I had tasted.

The problem is that we don't know what you tasted, and also what you mean by sweet and strong won't mean the same thing to someone else. Strong is typically a brewing parameter. Coffees from Dominican Republic, Puerto Rico, and Jamaica are generally mild, smooth, and rather similar to a good wet-processed Central American.

Zosia

Oct 25, 2013
Caribbeans
Visit site
I got some samples from Haiti, and there were very few defects in the samples. Nice even shapes and size of beans. No kidding....healthy look on green beans stage. Good roasting performance, means even colors and weight lost around 12%. I profiled them on different levels, and aroma and flavor above my expectations with City+, and City++. My buds led me to dark chocolate, roasted almonds and twist of vanilla.

eldub

Mar 28, 2012
Visit site
Interesting. Sounds like you know more about what's going on with Haitian coffee than most around here. Do you know where we can buy any?

Zosia

Oct 25, 2013
Caribbeans
Visit site
I got the samples from small green coffee traders from Miami BIXA.LLC. I will be glad to provide you with a phone contact via private messaging. I know that Haitian coffee business benefits now from Clinton Foundation funds and other means of help. I hope it will make long lasting impact on Haiti. Please note, I don't have any connection with Clinton Foundation, or anything else of such caliber, just genuine interested with coffee at large.