What should I try?

DopeNABox

May 16, 2014
Gainesville, Florida
Visit site
I've been drinking coffee for a while now, but I've only recently developed an actual taste for it. Meaning I used to be like all the teenage girls that go to starbucks and order something that is maybe 20% coffee and the rest is milk/cream/sugar, but now I actually enjoy a nice piping hot cup of black coffee. I like darkly roasted coffees more than most other coffees, and I like it very strong! Though, up until recently I have been a poor college student(still a poor college student just now have a better job), I can actually spend a little bit more cheddar on things that I want! Since I live in a college town there are the various grocery stores that I can go to, but since there is such a large diversity of students here there are a lot of foreign stores and foreign grocery markets. My question to you would be, what types of coffee, or what brands should I try? There is a Trader Joes, a world market(a huge foreign foods store), and a plethora of other places. I enjoy darker coffees, and I'd love to have something that I can afford as well as something I'll enjoy. Right now I'm drinking Folgers Dark Roast(cheap but good).

peterjschmidt

Oct 10, 2013
Milwaukee, WI
Visit site
Your palate is your palate. Buy beans. Buy a grinder. Kick some tires.

It's a journey. You'll have your own path.

Really, how is anyone here supposed to know what you will fall in love with?

CoffeeJunky

Dec 7, 2012
Michigan, US
Visit site
Hey DopeNabox,

There are many brands out there claim to be great but deliver very little.
It is best to try different coffee from the local roasters. I would try "Sweet Water" visit their stores and see if you can find something you like.
When you try the freshly roasted coffee, you can't really go back to high volume coffee company like Starbucks Caribou, and etc.

RolandPluut

Nov 16, 2013
Visit site
Couldn't agree more. Getting the right coffee is a journey. Great choice of beans, roasting, grinding, percolation, and last but not least the art itself. It's a journey well worth going for.

cestrin

Jul 19, 2013
Tempe, AZ
Visit site
So, it seems like you like darker roasts. I think that, as far as ORIGINS go (which I think is going to help a little), Guatemalan, Sumatran, Columbian will fit your palate. I understand the sentiment of "your palate is your own" and what not. Some origins will "taste" bolder (hence, darker for people who are new to coffee) than others. You will find that origins like Ethiopian, Kenyan, and Rwandan tend to have a sweeter/fruity/lighter flavor even at the same roast levels as other origins.

Enjoy the journey!