Looking for French Roast Beans that are not too oily.

bobksbr

Jun 6, 2014
Visit site
We've been using Seattle Mountain French Roast for at least 3 years and really enjoy it. However, the last 2 bags we bought contained the oiliest beans I've ever seen and our Capresso Coffeemaker with built in Conical Burr Grinder refused to grind them. We exchanged for 2 more bags and same oily beans, so much we had to wash our hands after handling. Any suggestion for a good French Roast that won't clog our grinder? Thanks in advance.:smile:

peterjschmidt

Oct 10, 2013
Milwaukee, WI
Visit site
Some of the oiliness is a function of how much time the beans have spent out of the roaster. It takes x amount of time for the oils to migrate to the surface of the bean, but if you had really fresh Vienna level beans they could be oil-free for a few days. Chances are, your Seattle Mountain French Roast was even more stale than you had been accustomed too.

CremaBean

Jan 25, 2015
Visit site
There are two reasons why the beans get oily: first, the darker the roast, the oilier the beans; second, how old the beans are - the older, the oilier. This is the same reason why we started roasting our own beans. Eventually, we started coffee roasting company and roast our coffee only after receiving the order. In this case, we would recommend full city roast. It is medium-dark roast. It is only 9deg F lighter than Vienna roast.

Last edited by a moderator:

CremaBean

Jan 25, 2015
Visit site
Thanks peterjschmidt,

Here is a photo of our freshly roasted Guatemalan French roast. As you can see, there is no oil on the beans. However, it will take a little less time to develop oil on darker

IMG_2787.jpg

here is another picture 12hours later
IMG_2788.jpg

slurp

Jun 24, 2014
Hollywood Fl
Visit site
If there is no oil on the beans it is not french roast unless you went SO dark to burn the oil off.

Sorry Crema but that picture is of a light to medium roast at best. French roast is dark.

This is french roast.
LB_frenchroast2.jpg

CremaBean

Jan 25, 2015
Visit site
How many days after coffee was roasted you took this picture? I took mine with the phone (light in the room not perfect: you can see first picture is darker than the second), in person beans looks much much darker. What I was trying to show is that right after the roast beans will be dry. The oil doesn't show up until a few days after roasting. The coffee you see in the pictures is roasted to 464deg F.

Attachments

• IMG_2667.JPG
    IMG_2667.JPG
    121.4 KB · Views: 641
  • IMG.JPG
    IMG.JPG
    109.3 KB · Views: 610
  • labelled-roast-spectrum.jpg
    labelled-roast-spectrum.jpg
    136.8 KB · Views: 839
Last edited:

topher

Super Moderator
Staff member
Aug 14, 2003
Boca Raton
Visit site
Maybe your flash is throwing off the picture....I still think it looks way too light to be a french roast. I do not see any oil on it in the first or second picture. My french roast comes out oily.

CremaBean

Jan 25, 2015
Visit site
Maybe your flash is throwing off the picture....I still think it looks way too light to be a french roast. I do not see any oil on it in the first or second picture. My french roast comes out oily.

topher,

how long is your roast? My french roast is between 10-14 minutes, depending on density of a beans that I'm roasting.

You are correct, pictures doesn't do it justice, I took these pictures under three bright lights that I'm using to inspect coffee beans after a roast.

peterjschmidt

Oct 10, 2013
Milwaukee, WI
Visit site
I doubt that either overall time of a roast, or the finish temp, is a good way to determine/compare the roast level between two people; some roasters will get you there is several minutes, others much longer; temps can vary wildly between too.

You'd have to mark the onset of 2C and the temp, then note how far and long you went into 2C.

You'd also have to agree on the terminology being used for various roast levels, Full City, Vienna, etc, can mean different things to different people. (except for those of us in the know, of course ;-) )