How Do You Cleanse Your Palate (not palette)

BenjiTRCM

Oct 23, 2014
San Francisco, CA
Visit site
Hi Guys,

I'm new here so sorry if this is a repetitive post (I did do a search!).

I've been doing some coffee taste tests on myself and was wondering...how do you cleanse your palate when tasting different coffees?

I've just been using a glass of water, but I'm not sure if this is the most effective way or not. Any tips would be much appreciated, otherwise, just curious what others are doing.

-Benji

Last edited by a moderator:

chast

Jul 30, 2006
MA
Visit site
20 year old scotch!!..oops! wrong forum!! I agree with Peter, water, filtered preferred. Club soda has additives that could linger and alter the taste. Club soda is also great for clean greasy flat tops so that will give you an idea whats in it

Mar 28, 2011
Connecticut
Visit site
The question was "How Do You Cleanse Your Palette?" I do cleanse it with Turpentine. I would never cleanse it with 20 year old Scotch (what a waste), however it may dissolve some of the oil based paints on it. Water would just run off it unless you are painting with water colors (amateur hour).

Len

BenjiTRCM

Oct 23, 2014
San Francisco, CA
Visit site
The question was "How Do You Cleanse Your Palette?" I do cleanse it with Turpentine. I would never cleanse it with 20 year old Scotch (what a waste), however it may dissolve some of the oil based paints on it. Water would just run off it unless you are painting with water colors (amateur hour).

Len

Durr. Good grief, that was embarrassing.

At least I now know how to clean both palettes and palates :)

BenjiTRCM

Oct 23, 2014
San Francisco, CA
Visit site
Thanks!

Any swooshing around in the mouth necessary? Is there a typical period you wait before tasting the next cup?

I'm just trying to get a sense for how others keep from distinguishing between cups. I feel like the flavors blend in with each other a lot when I compare.

peterjschmidt

Oct 10, 2013
Milwaukee, WI
Visit site
I'm just trying to get a sense for how others keep from distinguishing between cups. I feel like the flavors blend in with each other a lot when I compare.

Not that I'm an expert in cupping, and you haven't said exactly how much experience you've had, but the more practice you get in and the better you get at discerning flavors (and equally important, improve in your ability to describe and put words together with what your palate is finding) the less carry-over there is from cup to cup.

BenjiTRCM

Oct 23, 2014
San Francisco, CA
Visit site
OK thanks for the input!

I guess the main issue right now is that I'm tasting the same coffee, brewed in a slightly different manner. So of course there is going to be a lot of carry-over between the cups I compare.