Anybody familiar with Lavazza coffee?

Mr.Peaberry

Aug 7, 2013
Visit site
I just returned to work with an iced coffee from Coffee Bean and Tea Leaf. While in line, I picked up a few bags of whole bean coffee just to satisfy my curiosity about roast dates. By "picked up" I don't mean "purchased"...just reading while waiting. They don't have a roast date, instead they have a "manufactured on" date, and all the dates were from June and July. They also have an expiration date, which is six months after the manufactured on date. I'd like to say I'm not surprised, but I am. I've never bought whole bean coffee from them, but I've never ruled out the option...until now.

expat

May 1, 2012
Ireland
Visit site
Lavazza is factory made coffee on steroids. Huge in Europe, which, contrary to popular opinion, likes to drink harsh coffee. They grew up on instant and (especially here in Ireland) are just in the last few years starting to discover how good coffee can taste.

What Peter said is about on target except the stale-in-the-can stuff is Illy and the vacuum-packed brick in the foil bag is Lavazza.

Why you would want to drink it when there are so many other options, that were roasted within the last two weeks instead of last two years, I don't know.

javacentral

Nov 18, 2015
Visit site
Lavazza is super popular at least in Italy (they even have lavazza vending machines in rome!) and makes some super strong coffee. If you don't get extra hair on your chest from it, it's because it burned it off.

coffeewheel

May 9, 2016
Visit site
Put Lavazza coffee beans in the coffee machine all the time. One of my favorites! Probably not fresh and not as good as buying from a local roaster, but consistently nice in flavor and easy to pick up at the local supermarket when doing the rest of my shopping! I do like it! :coffee:

cnazario

Oct 25, 2015
Visit site
Wow, we've come a long way since this post! We buy locally roasted beans and our coffee has become very popular! It says something when customers ask my husband what he suggest!

racer7

Apr 7, 2017
Visit site
I once had both some Illy and Lavazza stuff which I tried in a Brika. Ugh- threw both away. My worst ever home roast would be lots better.

Bottom line is if you don't have a fresh roast AND grind your own you won't drink decent coffee unless you're in the company of a barista with a good roast who can do it for you.