View Poll Results: What is your vote on Vietnamese coffee quality?

Voters
5. You may not vote on this poll
  • Terrible.

1 20.00%
  • Bad.

1 20.00%
  • Good.

3 60.00%
  • Fair.

0 0%
  • Excellent.

0 0%
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Question What is the quality of Vietnamese coffee?

It is obvious that Vietnam is the world's coffee giant as the country has been dominated the 2nd largest producer for years. I'm a coffee addictor from Vietnam and of course, I love its coffee. However, I see that not many Vietnamese coffees are being marketed independently across coffee consuming markets in comparison with Brazilian coffee, Columbian coffee and others. Some even say that Vietnam should improve its coffee quality to cater the world's increasing demand for coffee.

Since I've been in the coffee industry 5 years ago, I always think of Vietnam coffee quality. Is it good enough to sell independently in global markets? How about the taste? Is the taste familiar to world's local taste?
    ---I'm chief editor of a coffee blog which focuses on coffee products & coffee reviews. Like you, I love coffee .

Have you tasted catimor arabica from SonLa or DienBien coffee region? That may be awsome!
    smell's good

world thinks Vietnam has only Robusta serving instant coffee, that should be wrong since you drink north vietnam arabica, so charming

I've heard that coffee from Chieng Ban of Son La and Muong Ang of Dien Bien are fairly good. However, it seems that these two single origin coffee haven't been universally recognized?
    ---I'm chief editor of a coffee blog which focuses on coffee products & coffee reviews. Like you, I love coffee .

It is hardest job to change customer preferences and assumptions. Vietnam did not start out as a producer of arabica coffee. Being a French colony, rubusta was cultivated beginning in the late 19th century to the extent that placed Vietnam in the position of being the worlds largest producer of robusta coffee. Because of this, it is difficult for Vietnam to shake the image of not being an origin of choice for specialty grade arabica. It hasn't been long ago that Brazil was considered for commercial grade only, but since most of it's coffee, 70% I've learned, is arabica, it has been easier for them to enter into the world of specialty coffee, and be taken seriously. If you don't mind, I'll use the analogy of goods coming into the US from Japan after the end of WWII. So much low quality stuff that all had the tag "Made in Japan" that Japan became synonymous with poor quality goods. Over the years, this has turned around so much so that many things made in Japan are regarded as top shelf and on par with goods coming out of Germany for the engineering, Italy for design, and Scandinavia for innovation. Vietnam can turn the ship around too...but there is no easy way other than a national commitment to achieving that goal.

Just did a review on some robusta vietnamese coffee and it was tasty but goodness was it strong!

robusta from vietnam is so popular that the taste of local drinkers can not be accepted for arabica; they think arabica is not coffee but extra flavors; hahah, sure it's too strong: >2%caffeine and slow filter (>3minutes) (french press), drink 1 cup and you are "drunk" all day; I roast coffee and pack in drip bags using just arabica, but all men don't like this smell and taste, it's soft and not strong enough!
    when i blend, 3/7 they think: ok, but still it's not strong! how to satisfy? a big question!
    Last edited by johnnguyen; 03-15-2016 at 08:39 PM.

Son La may differ from Dalat since they grow other kinds of arabica; I live in Hanoi and have chance to taste: Laos arabica + Son La arabica + Dien Bien arabica; all 're different and all 're charming!
    I tried Dien Bien green bean bought from farmer and found it can not be better
    Last edited by johnnguyen; 03-15-2016 at 08:40 PM.

Sorry, the video I roast here: rang xay c ph

Vietnamese coffee its particular style. Coarsely ground beans go into a French drip filter (called a phin), which sits on top of the cup. The beans are weighted down with a thin lid, hot water is added to the phin, and then the water slowly trickles through into the cup. Most people drink the resulting dark, strong brew with sweetened condensed milk, a practice that began because the French couldn't easily acquire fresh milk.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links