Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    aceh gayo from indonesia,colombia,kenya

Papua New Guinea - sweet, strong flower aroma, love it so much !

Sumatra Mandheling

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Huggamug View Post
    Sumatra Mandheling
    I agree. it is one of my favorite and I can not wait to try out this coffee from Bob. :+)

Favorite Single Origin Coffees?-20621857_1983520235265096_7519729327591907261_n.jpg

Excuse me if this sounds newbish but even thought there are several varietals in a country as long as it's from the same country is it considered single origin?

I see coffee that says it's single origin and others that have a description that says it's from one area or farmer but doesn't say it's single origin.

How does one know for sure they're getting a single origin bean?

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Duffyjr View Post
    Excuse me if this sounds newbish but even thought there are several varietals in a country as long as it's from the same country is it considered single origin?

I see coffee that says it's single origin and others that have a description that says it's from one area or farmer but doesn't say it's single origin.

How does one know for sure they're getting a single origin bean?
    "newbish" sound is "very welcome here" well... at least by me.

Below is the definition of SOC by Wiki.

Single-origin coffee is coffee grown within a single known geographic origin. Sometimes, this is a single farm,[1] or a specific collection of beans from a single country.[2] The name of the coffee is then usually the place it was grown to whatever degree available. Single-origins are viewed by some as a way to get a specific taste, and some independent coffee shops have found that this gives them a way to add value over large chains.[3]
    There are no real rules or governing body enforcing the labeling of coffee.[4] A single origin coffee could be:

• Coffee entirely from one farm.
    • Coffee from multiple farms in the same general area. (very common)
    • Coffee from multiple farms in the same country.

Yup. above is what the definition of SOC which most of importers and roasters use.
    But IF YOU ASK ME (As a green bean seller from Guatemala and farm owner), I define SOC as below.

1. One specific variety (example : Bourbon, Pacamara, Geisha..etc) from ONE FARM with 85 SCAA cupping note and above.

Anything other than that, it is just another marketing gimmick to fool customers and get more money by using SOC.
    You "could say" that Coffee (even they are mixed coffee, bourbon + Caturra + Catuai...etc) from ONE FARM can be called SOC, but IMO, that is wrong!

As example, I have a farm in Zunil, Guatemala. called Finca Santa Maria. we grow mixtures of Caturra & Bourbon and we harvest all together because we can not separate them. (we could, but too much man power and money). The Average cupping note for our coffee is around 82 point.
    Then, do I call my farm coffee, Single origin coffee, ? Yes, I could according to the definition.
    But I rather not.

Duffy - single origin is a somewhat generic term simply meaning from one country. Often, you will see a mill purchase from MANY farmers within a certain region and process together, that's still considered a single origin but not a farm specific coffee. Blends typically contain coffees from more than one country, however a blend could be from the same country, but different coffees. I've only seen this in larger coffee producing countries where you have different flavor profiles. (I.E - you may have a different flavor from the coffees grown on east/west side of mountains, low areas vs. mountains, etc).

Now when it comes to labeling coffee - that's all across the board. I'm still trying to wrap my head around all the various names/regions/farms and naming nomenclature. It really comes down to the fact that every origin has unique farm/grower situations resulting in different labeling. For example, in Uganda the average farm is only 2 acres in size - mills are very limited so almost all of the coffee is coop'ed together. In that specific situation, I will label the coffee Uganda - Gibuzale based off the growing region. If the growing region and/or mill separates the incoming green by farm - that's typically when they are all called 'micro-lot's... in those situations most people will label the specific farm. In that case - I would place farm level information on the label.

Ask if you have other questions!

Mike

I'm Obsessed with Kona and Costa Rican.

I'd love to try it. Can you message me a good brand?

I kind of agree with Alex, it should be defined a little better and not used so loosely but I understand marketing and they way Musicphan explains it will help and makes sense from what I have seen on descriptions.

Some of my favorite beans (so far) have been from Central America, don't think I could choose one over the other. To me the difference in the tastes don't make one better than the other. I also have to admit a couple of my favorites have been blends.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links