Kenya AA Coffee Review

javacentral

Nov 18, 2015
Visit site
I was approached by a wonderful fella on youtube that wanted me to review some of his coffee 'All The Coffee In The World'. I decided, I haven't tried out a Kenya AA coffee and wanted to see what it was like. Needless to say, it was quite good. It had a nice earthy taste with a dark chocolate undertone and was quite smooth. Here's a video of my review of this coffee. If you want to order some online, the website is allthecoffeeintheworld.com

<span style="color: rgb(51, 51, 51); background-color: rgb(241, 247, 241);">

ensoluna

Banned
Apr 29, 2014
Quetzaltenango, Guatemala
Visit site
As i was listening to this coffee guru guying reviewing Kenya AA coffee, momentarily I thought that he was reviewing a fine Sumatra from Indonesia. because he was kept mentioning that Nice Earthy tone. very smooth with no acidity at all. dark chocolate undertone..... well... they are not the good Kenya AA coffee characteristics at all.

Kenya is most balanced and complex coffee in the world, arguably second best coffee country in the world. Kenya AA is the best quality and biggest beans that kenya can offer and also, it should have strong, wine toned acidity (no acidity at all? that is very strange. because Kenya coffee grows in very high altitude, higher than Guatemala, for refined strong acidity). Kenya's coffee does not have Bold body. it is known for medium body yet with again very complex dimensions. Mostly berry, citrus tones. AND ALWAYS ALWAYS VERY CLEAN CUP (which is kind of opposit spectrum from "earthy..etc".)

Maybe someone made a practical joke on him. they switched Kenya AA to Sumatra, ha ha ha

topher

Super Moderator
Staff member
Aug 14, 2003
Boca Raton
Visit site
Ensoluna I thought the same as I watched this...I love acidity! I love bright coffees over earthy. When I got my start in coffee I would only drink Indonesian coffees because I was a smoker. It was the only thing I could taste. Over the years of tasting everything I could(and quit smoking) I was drawn to the more acidic coffees. Maybe it was accidentally miss labeled?

John P

Jan 5, 2007
Salt Lake City
Visit site
I agree with ensoluna.

I think that the most likely is that it is roasted poorly.
After looking at their website, it's clear that it would be kind to call someone an idiot if they bought any coffee from there.

javacentral

Nov 18, 2015
Visit site
I appreciate yalls feed back. I don't doubt this not being a great quality coffee, but I also don't think of myself a coffee pro by any means. Just someone who really likes it to be quite honest. I also don't appreciate the childish remarks. I felt it was a bit unnecessary.

ensoluna

Banned
Apr 29, 2014
Visit site
I appreciate yalls feed back. I don't doubt this not being a great quality coffee, but I also don't think of myself a coffee pro by any means. Just someone who really likes it to be quite honest. I also don't appreciate the childish remarks. I felt it was a bit unnecessary.
hello javacentral, it is just that that person on video (was that you?) described kind of completely different and somewhat totally opposite coffee characteristics and flavors than Kenya AA. That was why we were all amused, to say the least. However, I did not want to offend you by it. If I did, I apologize JC. thanks and have a good day.

Last edited:

javacentral

Nov 18, 2015
Visit site
Hey ensoluna, yeah, my palate for coffee has just started to get developed so I'm kind of flying by the seat of my pants with this whole coffee tasting thing. I appreciate you explaining all that to me and I'm sorry I got a bit snippy myself. I can see now yall were just pokin fun and I'm sorry for getting my jimmys in a bunch.

ensoluna

Banned
Apr 29, 2014
Visit site
Don't worry about. that is how we learn. I went thru the same thing.
Long time ago, at cupping table with my customers, I picked out sour apple flavor from a coffee, and all other 7 cuppers around me looked me funny because none of them had sour apple flavor in their cupping sheet.
it happens a lot as you are learning.

so, keep cupping and keep posting here.
it is all about having fun and learning by communicating to each other.
No one in this forum, specially old timers like me and other guys, has bad intention and we all are willing to help.
thanks and keep on cupping !!!!!

John P

Jan 5, 2007
Salt Lake City
Visit site
jc,

I know, you gotta start somewhere... I don't question what you are tasting. But I do question buying when there is nothing about who is roasting it, what their expertise is, etc. And the coffees seem like C market type coffees. No milling stations, farms, and the big giveaways that they are WAY overcharging for average to substandard coffees is the "Colombian Supremo" and the "Hazelnut" one is generic and the other is a travesty.

Just read and research. Don't believe everything you read. Use common sense to differentiate. And maybe order coffee from known, proven, and respected roasters.

Best on your journey.

Musicphan

May 11, 2014
Kansas City
Visit site
jc,

I know, you gotta start somewhere... I don't question what you are tasting. But I do question buying when there is nothing about who is roasting it, what their expertise is, etc. And the coffees seem like C market type coffees. No milling stations, farms, and the big giveaways that they are WAY overcharging for average to substandard coffees is the "Colombian Supremo" and the "Hazelnut" one is generic and the other is a travesty.

Just read and research. Don't believe everything you read. Use common sense to differentiate. And maybe order coffee from known, proven, and respected roasters.

Best on your journey.

Agree... I thought it was odd they were offering Death Wish coffee..

GreenCoffeeGeek

Aug 5, 2017
Michigan
Visit site
I love the review and am a big fan of that type of packaging. Is it just me, or does it make a big difference in the taste quality. I really think so. I'm excited to try this out! You had me a chocolate!

iseegreen

Sep 25, 2017
Visit site
Green Kenyan AA & AB

There are lots (<- pun) of Kenyan coffees on the market: I have 4 which are not often seen in the U.S. they are available SPOT from 3 private warehouses (Spokane WA, Portland OR, San Diego CA). Minimum order is 1 bag (60kg). Private message for serious inquiries.

*These were sourced independently and imported directly and in compliance with all necessary import procedures :check:

Attachments

• ken17.png
    ken17.png
    50.8 KB · Views: 148

expat

May 1, 2012
Ireland
Visit site
We use Kenya AA Samburu Estate in one of our blends but I bring the single origin home to drink. One of the perks of the business, right? Never can decide if I like it better than our Ethiopian Sidamo, maybe it just depends on the day, but it is always a bright coffee. JavaCentral you should get yourself some Sumatra Mandheling or Lintong and compare it side-by-side with the Kenya you have. That should make the differences very apparent and help you better see - earthy, bright, acidity, etc. Although I'll never be able to taste all the tastes in a coffee. When I read SweetMaria's coffee reviews I'm always wondering, 'How's this guy tasting quince, toasted almond, slightly burnt cherry, dark chocolate, and molasses in a single cup of coffee.'

Also you might want to taste the same coffee at different temperatures -- the flavor can change a lot from fresh brewed to when it attains room temp. And scientifically your taste buds give you better feedback when coffee (or whatever) is within certain temperature ranges.