Guatemalan Huehuetenango by FreshRoastedCoffee LLC

LoveCoffeeLife

Jan 29, 2017
South Eastern USA
Visit site
Hi everyone,

I have no problem mentioning again that I'm new to learning how to taste and judge coffee so please keep that in mind as you read my reviews. I'm having a lot of fun!!

This single origin was purchased online from the above mentioned company. There are a few things that make me suspect that these coffee beans may be a bit past that coveted "freshness" barrier, however given that I'm a novice please advise me if I'm wrong. I'm totally open to all opinions.

I've read that when cupping there can be a fine cell foam that forms if the beans are fresh, not a lot of that. Also when grinding the bean I got a little burned sugary smell. I couldn't taste any burnt taste.

Even with that I was still able to pick up a little cocoa the coffee is very mild upon tasting and woody which stood out. The body was still very light which to me was pleasant, very smooth with a very clean finish.

Overall it was not all bad and totally drinkable.

There you have it. Please comment and advise below. Thanks.

Last edited:

Musicphan

May 11, 2014
Kansas City
Visit site
I think you're overthinking this a bit... from your other thread the beans only list a 'good through date'... I would call the roaster and see if they can give you a explanation of their dating process. I read you placed it in a second bag.. I would think you would ONLY see dramatic 'ballooning' of your bag if it was super fresh - I.E. - received within a few days of roast. Most degassing occurs a few days after roast... if properly packaged with a one way valve you may not see anything. My goal as a roaster is to have it in your hands within a week of roast... seek out a local or regional roaster that packages with a roast date. The key - who did it taste? Did you like it?

ensoluna

Banned
Apr 29, 2014
Quetzaltenango, Guatemala
Visit site
I am glad that you are having fun learning about coffee.
by the way, in order to tell whether coffee is good or not, one of the most important thing is how it was roasted.
it can not be under or over roasted.
in order to taste the full flavor, it has to be roasted light/Mid roast.

can you attach some of the close up photos of the beans?
then, I can tell you about the roast, defective beans...etc.

thank and keep on learning.

Musicphan

May 11, 2014
Kansas City
Visit site
I have no idea if this will be helpful or not... but here is a recent picture of a coffee cupping.

IMG_3102.JPG

And FYI... that company uses Loring's.. beans will typically lighter in color than a traditional drum roaster (at the same roast development).

LoveCoffeeLife

Jan 29, 2017
South Eastern USA
Visit site
I think you're overthinking this a bit... from your other thread the beans only list a 'good through date'... I would call the roaster and see if they can give you a explanation of their dating process. I read you placed it in a second bag.. I would think you would ONLY see dramatic 'ballooning' of your bag if it was super fresh - I.E. - received within a few days of roast. Most degassing occurs a few days after roast... if properly packaged with a one way valve you may not see anything. My goal as a roaster is to have it in your hands within a week of roast... seek out a local or regional roaster that packages with a roast date. The key - who did it taste? Did you like it?

Lol yeah maybe I am. The company says they roast to order so once you order then they roast and send or to you. I placed my order on the 3/15 and for the shipment on 3/17. So it should be really fresh under those conditions am I right? :) As far as how it tasted it was very mild but I have to admit that it was not remarkable. I've purchased this kind fresh and locally many times before and this one wasn't even close. Oh and thanks for the photos that's how my cup looked kinda. Very helpful. :D

LoveCoffeeLife

Jan 29, 2017
South Eastern USA
Visit site
I am glad that you are having fun learning about coffee.
by the way, in order to tell whether coffee is good or not, one of the most important thing is how it was roasted.
it can not be under or over roasted.
in order to taste the full flavor, it has to be roasted light/Mid roast.

can you attach some of the close up photos of the beans?
then, I can tell you about the roast, defective beans...etc.

thank and keep on learning.

Ensoluna, Its loads of fun even if they don't t all taste good. Lol I couldn't really get a good light. Its too dark inside then it get washed out outside. These are the best I could do.IMG_20170321_093736.jpg IMG_20170321_094640.jpg IMG_20170321_104334.jpg

ensoluna

Banned
Apr 29, 2014
Visit site
it looks like the majority was roasted okay, but I find some very dark beans.
those dark beans will change the flavors drastically.
anyway, like you said, the lighting is not so good and tough to tell.
but it would not matter... just keep trying, tasting and evaluating.... that is how you will learn more and more.
thanks

LoveCoffeeLife

Jan 29, 2017
South Eastern USA
Visit site
it looks like the majority was roasted okay, but I find some very dark beans.
those dark beans will change the flavors drastically.
anyway, like you said, the lighting is not so good and tough to tell.
but it would not matter... just keep trying, tasting and evaluating.... that is how you will learn more and more.
thanks

Thanks for your insights. I'll try to grab better pics later in the day. :) I'll definitely keep trying. Thanks the fun part.

Duffyjr

Jan 10, 2017
Nebraska
Visit site
I think you're overthinking this a bit... Did you like it?

Thanks, this put me back on track as I may of went down that rabbit whole a bit to far myself on obsessing about freshness when I should rely on my taste buds. Maybe a guy should go buy some store bought coffee every once in while so you know what bad coffee is.

I just bought some beans from a forum member here and he roasted them on Monday or Tuesday and I had it Thursday night. For the first couple three days I admit I didn't care for the taste but now that it's a week off roast it taste a lot better to me. I can really taste the fruitiness, all most like a dehydrated strawberry that finishes with a brown sugar with out the sweetness, while it finishes a bit dry it is very taste cup. This is the first time I've had beans that changed so much in the first few days.

I do have a question that I can't seem to find a definite answer searching for on older green beans vs fresher green beans. After roasting, will the fresh green beans off gas more than the older green beans with all other factors the same, same bean, same roasting profile etc...?

ensoluna

Banned
Apr 29, 2014
Visit site
Thanks, I do have a question that I can't seem to find a definite answer searching for on older green beans vs fresher green beans. After roasting, will the fresh green beans off gas more than the older green beans with all other factors the same, same bean, same roasting profile etc...?
I think that about 3 weeks ago, I have done cupping of two different beans. new harvested beans vs old beans (15 month old). below photos are from my phone camera. the left beans are the old beans which is more pale, whiter. the new beans look more greenish....

after roasting, the old beans smell more like "peanuts" and there was a distinctive old bean cupping profile. Normally old beans (12 month and up), if you want to sell them, you have to roast them like Starbucks beans. Very Dark.

16939121_1895207947429659_861357041929176717_n.jpg16939563_1895231134094007_1193400096088176879_n.jpg16995939_1895231117427342_5165872948365962041_n.jpg

LoveCoffeeLife

Jan 29, 2017
South Eastern USA
Visit site
Thanks, this put me back on track as I may of went down that rabbit whole a bit to far myself on obsessing about freshness when I should rely on my taste buds. Maybe a guy should go buy some store bought coffee every once in while so you know what bad coffee is.

I just bought some beans from a forum member here and he roasted them on Monday or Tuesday and I had it Thursday night. For the first couple three days I admit I didn't care for the taste but now that it's a week off roast it taste a lot better to me. I can really taste the fruitiness, all most like a dehydrated strawberry that finishes with a brown sugar with out the sweetness, while it finishes a bit dry it is very taste cup. This is the first time I've had beans that changed so much in the first few days.

That's a great suggestion about buying some store bought every now and again. In my case a woman would go busy some. :D Keeping it simple in this one I'd have to say I was a bit disappointed, don't get me wrong it was pleasant to drink but I like a bit more going on. This Guatemalan is very different from what I've purchased before. I've tried it again since I've had it a week now and still not much going on.

Which forum member did you purchase from?

ensoluna

Banned
Apr 29, 2014
Visit site
Can you tell me a bit more about old bean cupping profile?
there is No profile on old beans..... because you can not detect any good flavors nor aromas from them. So, in our business (business of selling green beans to foreign buyers), we do not even cup, actually never cup old beans. few weeks ago, I did it because I was doing Coffee Seminars for University Students in this city. if you check out my FB, you can see the Seminar photos....

Duffyjr

Jan 10, 2017
Nebraska
Visit site
That's a great suggestion about buying some store bought every now and again. In my case a woman would go busy some. :D Keeping it simple in this one I'd have to say I was a bit disappointed, don't get me wrong it was pleasant to drink but I like a bit more going on. This Guatemalan is very different from what I've purchased before. I've tried it again since I've had it a week now and still not much going on.

Which forum member did you purchase from?

I just realized I forgot to mention I sent you a PM.