Cuban Crystal Mountain.

Kilnavock

Jun 5, 2017
Visit site
I have just learned about CCM from friends that have gone to Japan. Its not possible to get it in the USA at this time, so I was wondering if anyone has had any thoughts on this. I enjoy other high end island beans and was wondering how this compared to Kona and Jamaican Blue.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Last edited:

ensoluna

Banned
Apr 29, 2014
Quetzaltenango, Guatemala
Visit site
interesting... I have not heard much about Cuban Crystal Mountain. Actually since I have been here (in forum), this is the first time someone mentioned about CCM coffee.

I got below article from "coffeegrail.com"

Crystal Mountain is known to be sweet and nutty, full bodied, with relatively low acidity. Its taste profile is similar to the finest island coffees and is a distant cousin of the Jamaican “Blue Mountain” coffee. Unlike other Island coffees, many describe the rich aroma of Cuban Coffee to be more sedentary, than volcanic.

It seems like CCM & JBM shares similar taste profile (perhaps because similar climate and soil & altitude conditions?!).
Also, the article mentions that Japan buys most of their production. And as I know, Japan also buys most of JBM production as well.
I think that Japanese prefers the coffee flavor profiles of CCM and JBM.

ensoluna

Banned
Apr 29, 2014
Visit site
I guess that hardly anyone heard of CCM coffee due to Cuban embargo from 1962 to december of 2014.
However, without the embargo, I doubt that we will be seeing (or tasting) Cuban coffee anytime soon because ALL the production is being sold to mostly Japan and France.

wmark

Nov 12, 2008
Canada
Visit site
I have drank lots of Cuban coffee. Crystal mountain is the king of Cuban coffee. As with all island coffees, it is very smooth but Cuban coffee tends to be very low acidity. I believe this strain is the same as the Blue Mountain of jamaica.

It is available in Canada.

ensoluna

Banned
Apr 29, 2014
Visit site
I have drank lots of Cuban coffee. Crystal mountain is the king of Cuban coffee. As with all island coffees, it is very smooth but Cuban coffee tends to be very low acidity. I believe this strain is the same as the Blue Mountain of jamaica.

It is available in Canada.
Cuba being Canada's favorite honey-moon and vacation spot for many last decades, I can imagine that Cuban coffee is readily available in Canada. Hopefully, it will be available in my area (Los Angeles) very soon, but I am not holding my breath.
the most common varietal of CCB is Typica, like Kona and JBM.

wmark

Nov 12, 2008
Canada
Visit site
There is not enough to go around. The #1 buyer is Japan. The number # buyer is France. Places like Canada and Australia get a little. Can you see U.S. buyers out bidding the Japanese ?

Kilnavock

Jun 5, 2017
Visit site
Thanks for the input everyone. I am sure that if it ever becomes available in the USA there well be plenty to go around. I can get JBM easily where i live, granted that its $90 a pound and yet 80% is exported to Japan. I also dont agree that we are the cheapest coffee buyers but we have been deprived of other beans. Most people are so accustomed to Folgers and Maxwell House that they think Stabucks is gourmet. Not to say there is anything wrong with them as i drink them myself on occasion. But there is something to be said about quality single origin beans that brings the Coffee Snob out in me. Since I am going to Canada next month I will try to pick some up.

ensoluna

Banned
Apr 29, 2014
Visit site
I also dont agree that we are the cheapest coffee buyers but we have been deprived of other beans.
ha ha ha. I guess that you might have misunderstood me. when I say, "cheapest coffee buyers", that means US coffee importers who buys green coffee from other coffee origin countries. I work in Guatemala as coffee sales person and actually when we offer green coffee to US buyers, literally, we have to drop our pants to get our prices competitive. US is the biggest market which means competition & bargaining are the worst among all other country green bean buyers.
Alex from Ensoluna S.A. ENSOLUNA

Kilnavock

Jun 5, 2017
Visit site
Yes, I did mistake your comment. However, that still leads me to believe that its because the popularity of high quality beans is not there. Yet. Maybe one-day we will have quality coffee shops all over.

ensoluna

Banned
Apr 29, 2014
Visit site
I have not tasted CCM and tasted some JBM, but it CCM is somewhat like JBM, I do not consider them as high quality beans. Japanese likes beans with low acidity and smooth, medium Body. That is one of main reasons they are being sold a lot to Japan.

wmark

Nov 12, 2008
Canada
Visit site
There is not only Crystal Mountain but also Turquino. Also still good are Alutura Lavado and Serrano. Stay away from Cubita as it is adulterated coffee.

Geologically speaking, I believe Cuba started out as a coral reef. When you land in that country, you can smell the aroma of the soil, a soil rich with decayed sealife

ensoluna

Banned
Apr 29, 2014
Visit site
When I used to travel to Miami & Puerto Rico, most of my customers (Electronic business) were Cubans.
They ALL drank tiny espresso with tons of sugar in it. That was ( and probably is) all they drank and I really got used to drink that also for 20 somewhat years. (they had a name for it, but I can not remember now)

I wonder ... whether that type of espresso/sugar coffee is also a popular coffee IN CUBA now.
if anyone knows, please let me know.
thanks

wmark

Nov 12, 2008
Canada
Visit site
Cafe Cubano or sometimes called a cafecito. In Cuba it is primarily made with a stoptop espresso pot. They only make it with sugar. It is like pulling teeth to have my friends make it without sugar for me and then they can put in sugar after.

Unrefined azucar negro (black sugar) with the molasses still in is used. Too many Cubans grumble about the lack of refined white sugar but I tell them eveyone in North America would kill to get organic unprocessed sugar that they grumble about.

In larger restaurants there is espresso available but I am seeing more nespresso in the smaller restaurants. After drinking good Turquino, putting a nespresso in your mouth is pretty foul.

Kilnavock

Jun 5, 2017
Visit site
Coffee is like Scotch. Some are awesome, some are great but most rarely good blended.