Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Favorite Blends

A question about blends: do you blend first then roast or roast first then blend? Does it make any difference? Also do you use real whole hazelnuts when you roast hazelnut coffee?

Quote Originally Posted by WhyCoffee View Post
    A question about blends: do you blend first then roast or roast first then blend? Does it make any difference? Also do you use real whole hazelnuts when you roast hazelnut coffee?
    You can do either - pre or post blending... and people have a variety of opinions on this. Flavoring is usually added post roast by a flavor concentrate.

Thanks! I am about to throw some real hazelnuts into my roaster (I didn't know it's from concentrate).

Hi WhyCoffee, I have tried both pre and post blend, and mine is only limited experience, but pre blending was WAY better. The argument remains that different beans need different roast times/profiles to bring out their best, so one should post blend. However, it does not work out that way for me. The flavors of the blend mesh much better, for me by blending the beans first. Try it both ways and let us know what you find.
    God Bless,
    Wayne
    PS my wife prefers her hazelnut to come from a squirt or three of sweet hazelnut flavored syrup into the coffee just as it is being served. YMMV.

Thanks, Tex_Thai! I tend to believe your approach. It's like fried rice: it always tastes better if you fry everything together. If anything needs more cooking time, you just throw them in there first. Roaster will let you do the same thing: add each blend at different time.

BTW, I assume your Tex is for Texas since I am in Texas.

^^^^^^^
    Agreed WhyCoffee on all counts. Can take the boy outta Texas, but can't take the Texas outta the boy!!!! Lived overseas since '92. And lived in Thailand for 18 of those years.
    And we know our fried rice too over here.
    Still a Texans fan. God Bless,
    Wayne

Pre-blending doesn't work great when you have two beans of different density... for example - if you had a high grown Ethiopia bean and a lower grown Natural/Pulped Natural Brazil. The Ethiopian will be much greater density which wants lots of heat up front and then slow down the heat. A low grown Brazil would like soft heat up front and gradual heat through the process. In that situation, it would be best to roast separately and post-roast blend. However, if all of the beans are say Central or Central/South America I personally pre-blend.

Very true, Musicphan. Same thing with fried rice, skilled cook knows when to put each ingredient (meat, eggs, vegetables, etc.) in and how to adjust fire for each.

Perhaps I should state more clearly what it is I am trying to do. I want to make/roast a blend that will be a really good, drinkable straight double shot espresso. But my wife and daughter like to add it to milk and ice for a tall drink with tiramisu or hazelnut syrup. Actually I love it that way too but without the syrup, LOVE the chocolate taste it gets with iced milk. BUT, diet wise I most often need to drink it black, most often as a longo.
    Any ideas what blend I need that can be double purpose like that? I have the following beans here and available to roast/blend: All Arabicas (well I have a small package of Robusta but would not serve that to an enemy!!!!!!) Thai Chiang Mai, Brasilian F. Rio Preto Red Bourbon, Rwandan, Ethiopian Sidama Deri Kochera, Sumatran Mandelhing, Guatemala Finca el Rincon, Yemen Mocca Sanani, Indian Monsooned Malabar, and some Costa Rican La Pastora, yellow honey which is too acidic for me.
    From that great selection I should be able to make an awesome blend. Any suggestions, ratios, family recipes??????
    I find the Thai and Brasilian beans make a great base. The Sumatran beans add great body. The MM beans add something I really like, not sure what?
    Right now about 20% each Thai, Brasilian, Sumatran, MM and either Eth. Sidama or Rwandan make a great drink with milk. But are not making the drinkable espresso or longo that I can enjoy black.
    Thanks, God Bless,
    Wayne
    Last edited by Tex_Thai; 05-23-2019 at 02:54 AM. Reason: more

Try 50-60% of the Guat Rincon (excellent Finca... what I'm drinking right now) 30-40% of Brazil, 10% Sumatra for crema... that should hold up with milk and give you a nice espresso. Roast about halfway between 1st & 2nd crack.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links