Question: First sip of my dripped coffee feeling bitter, is that normal?

Hi all coffee lover,

I am a coffee beginner, I tried to dripped the some single origin coffee. The first sip of the coffee always has the strong bitter taste and then after the first sip the bitterness is gone. Is this normal?
    Last edited by edward1982; 11-21-2017 at 07:26 PM.

The profile of tastes does change as the cup cools. A lot of the good flavors are hard to taste when it is close to brewing temperature.

Another factor is that your taste buds may be getting saturated with the bitter taste when you take that first sip, so the subsequent sips don't seem as bitter.

So overall, do you like the taste of your coffee? If yes, continue to enjoy! If no, and you think it's a little too bitter overall, consider that you might be "over-extracting"- which just means brewing it too strong. Lots of ways to adjust that- use a coarser grind, lower the water temperature, decrease the steep time, use less coffee for the same amount of water. Just a little adjustment in any of these can make a big difference.

Also, needless to say, some coffees are naturally more bitter than others, and the roasting influences it too.

Hope you're still reading this and enjoying your coffee! I'd love to hear more details of what kind of coffees you've tried, what kind of dripper you use, and your brewing technique!

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by edward1982 View Post
    Hi all coffee lover,

I am a coffee beginner, I tried to dripped the some single origin coffee. The first sip of the coffee always has the strong bitter taste and then after the first sip the bitterness is gone. Is this normal?
    SOC (single origin coffee) does not mean or does not have to be "good coffee". it simply means that the coffee can be traced to a certain region or a farm...etc. so if someone is selling a shitty coffee as SOC, it is also absolutely possible as long as the shitty coffee comes from a farm or a region. (BTW, The definition of SOC became so broad. But for me, if you ask me, it should be from ONE FARM! )

regards to your question about "bitter first sip"...then getting better....

maybe you ate something sweet like candie or cake right before you took the first sip?

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links