Aloha Island Kona-Pods

jdplus3

Oct 4, 2005
North Carolina
Visit site
Aloha Island Kona-Pod: Aloha Island Coffee Company uses Kona beans from a private estate plantation, rather than from mixed lots, giving their coffees a rare dependable consistency. Their beans are picked and processed by hand, and roasted in small batches. I think of Kona coffees as having a rather even, singular taste, much the way 100% Columbian does, but with more colorful hints of nuttiness.
Medium Roast: This pod smells excellently aromatic as soon as it is removed from the foil pouch. As it is brewing, the coffee has a medium caramel color, and a beautiful crema (using the Senseo). There is a very slight acidity, but not bitterness, making this a delightful mid-day roast.
Dark Roast: As it is brewing, this coffee has a darker caramel color, and a beautiful rich crema. There is a very slight acidity, but no bitterness, and a bold aroma and well-roasted taste, making this an ideal morning wake-up brew. I recommend the entire Aloha Island line of 100% Kona Pods, but I think this is the best Kona coffee I have tried so far, certainly the best Kona in a manufactured pod.
Espresso Roast: Although it is a 100% Kona Pod, it has been ground fine and well-roasted to produce an espresso-like coffee. I don’t think it has the full bold complexity of a true espresso, but it has a lot more character than their Dark Roast Kona. I like my coffee strong and fresh, so I really like this aromatic, minimally-acidic coffee, but when brewed in my Senseo, it is a little short of espresso. A wonderful wake-up brew for the first cup in the morning.
Overall:If you are excited about pod coffee, but unhappy with your choices for pods in the stores, you will not be disappointed with these pods!

milesius

Jan 26, 2006
Visit site
hawaiian coffee sucks, sorry.

Much aloha, but hawaiian coffee just doesn't cut it, no matter how specially hand picked it is.
Weak, flat flavor that just doesn't satisfy. No organic offered either.

try big river coffee!!!!!!!!

I pay to have the stuff shipped to hawaii for my own personal use.

CJevens

Apr 18, 2011
Arlington, Va
Visit site
Totally disagree with Milesius. Everyone is entitled to their opinion, even if it's wrong.... LOL.

Since JDplus3 only has one post, I guess never made an intro so this might be borderline spam.

Anyone know what these Kona pods sell for? Even though this goes against every coffee loving bone in my body, I can atleast pass info to friends that are in love with their GenX instant gratification machines.

Randy G.

May 8, 2008
California
Visit site
There is a big difference between a coffee you don't like and the very negative "review" you gave, milesius. Any coffee that is stalke, poorly roasted, or opf low quality in the green state can taste poor. There are also Kona blends that are less than spectacular. While it may be that Kona is overpriced for you, it is the only coffee grown in the USA and so labor rastes are higher than coffee grown just about anywhere else in the world. Just judging it on its own merit, high grade Kona, freshly roasted, makes a wonderful cup of coffee that is hard to beat for smooth, rich, balanced flavor. And the best Kona is shipped overseas. Might be why the stuff you get there is less than top notch.

ToyDogCoffee

Aug 24, 2011
Honolulu, HI
Visit site
I have to agree with Randy here. I have had some fantastic Hawaiian coffee and I have had poo. You buy Royal Kona or Lions, its no different then buying Duncan Donut's in my opinion. I have one farmer, who roasts on his estate, and it is very good coffee. I have another farmer, who takes his coffee to a speciality roaster in Kona, even though he is in the Ka'u region, since he knows this roaster does his beans justice. Everyone raves about Ethiopian coffee, but I had a fresh roasted and though it was meh. Now the Tanzanian Peaberry... that is a different story.

ToyDogCoffee

Aug 24, 2011
Honolulu, HI
Visit site
Hula Daddy, while good, lost the barista that changed the way Hula Daddy was doing things. He has now moved over to the Ka'u region. Got a chance to meet him at Coffee Fest in Hawaii. Nice guy...