Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 ... LastLast

organic coffee or regular

I was wondering if the majority of coffee lovers and regular coffee drinkers feel that it may be important to ones health to stick with organic, since it would be grown without the use of harmful pesticides and herbacides.

Any thoughts?

Jeff
    PS. I do own an organic site.

The proof is in the cup.

The top quality coffees cannot use pesticides or herbicides that would affect the flavor of the coffee. Most top quality coffees are not certified organic, but they may, in fact be organic. There are many organic pesticides and herbicides one can use as well...so probably not a huge factor.

All things being equal, the quality of the coffee is evident by the result in the cup. For me, I'll judge the cup first, and be damn sure that the sustainability of that farm and that crop is far more important that whether the grower is organic or not.

My comments are not relevant to low quality coffee. Chemicals may improve their taste...who knows????
    John Piquet
    caffe d'bolla
    Salt Lake City, UT
    caffedbolla.com

thanks for your post

Hey John:

Thanks for your reply.

Jeff

I read from a few books on coffee that "organic" coffee wont usually be better or worse in taste than the normal non organic beans.

The reason given was that this would mostly affect the "cherry" and the seed itself would have pretty much no trace of any chemicals used in growing. I can't say how true this is because I havenít actually seen any real studies on the topic.

That being said, I think the main reason why a person, when given the option, should go "organic" is because the issue of sustainability. You know... for the kids.

There is also something to be said about the farming practices when going organic. I think it's very possible to get a better bean from an organic operation because of the extra time and care that has to go into growing and harvesting.

The coffee shop my partner and I are opening is all organic themed. Also trying to go as eco friendly as possible when it comes to all of our other items.

What's the address to your organic site? I would be interested in checking it out.

Mind you, before the industrial revolution everything was "organic" maybe, insteading of people seeing it as a form elitism, I think it is going back to a more natural way of living. I totally agree with Josh.

Well, I guess I have to. He changes the oil in my car and takes out the garbage!
    Sunrise Coffee Co.
    Las Vegas
    sponsor of the fifteen minute coffee zen

Super Moderator
    Organic any thing is always better for you eventhough in this day and age it is pretty hard to accomplish.
    Jim Lyon
    Jim's Coffee Beans
    relax and roast some beans

The fact that coffee is grown organic or with pesticides, should not affect your health. Any pesticides used would be sprayed on the plant, and as another poster wrote: "In regards to a coffee plant" this would mostly affect the "cherry" and the seed itself would have pretty much no trace of any chemicals used in growing. We are not dealing with strawberries here. Also, just because a coffee is labeled "Organic" doesn't mean it tastes better. In fact, often the opposite is true. More time is required to maintain a farm organically, and the poor farmers don't take the time, or have the resources to maintain their fields. Finally, organic coffee generally costs more. It's up to you if you want to pay for it. Just remember, a label on a bag- "Organic or Fair-Trade" doesn't mean that the coffee will taste any better.

Quote Originally Posted by jlyon10
    Organic any thing is always better for you eventhough in this day and age it is pretty hard to accomplish.
    This is not totally correct. Socially and politically, a certain country is clear cutting their rain forest to grow organic coffee. This can't be better than a well managed farm using chemicals. Health-wise during the roasting process the temperature is high enough to evaporate any harmful chemical. This is more of a unfounded concern for chemically processed decaf, and there is no claim that organic coffee is healthier than non-organic coffee. Organic tea on the other hand, is probably worthwhile to seek out as steeping temperature is 175f - 212f. Quality-wise, some organic, fair trade, bird friendly, rainbow alliance and other politically corrected coffees are as good as some capitalist exploitation coffees. I'd seek out the best quality coffee and damn the label.
    You want cream and sugar?
    NO COFFEE FOR YOU! NEXT!

That's not totally true for some issues. For example, I have life threatening allergies/asthma including extensive food allergies. Based on research my wife and I have done organic foods can actually negatively affect me more than your average/everyday grown foods. Later!
    I'm a legend among my own kind... you my friend are just a legend in your own mind. Later!

Quote Originally Posted by shadow745

That's not totally true for some issues. For example, I have life threatening allergies/asthma including extensive food allergies. Based on research my wife and I have done organic foods can actually negatively affect me more than your average/everyday grown foods. Later!
    Well, have fun at mcdonalds! : p

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links