Which European is best? (poll type question)

davidsbiscotti

Oct 4, 2007
Visit site
I haven't seen any European coffee interest in this forum, why is that?

I'm torn between using Spanish, Viennese or Italian for a biscotti promo.

The obvious might be Italian, but Spanish rocks!

Anyway, just looking for some personal opinions from the connoisseurs.

Thanks!

Buondi

Sep 16, 2008
Portugal
Visit site
Hey there...

Did i just read \"Spanish Coffee Rocks\"???? :shocked:

Well, what about if i tell you the Spanish coffee is one of the worst that exists?? The blends are made with the cheapest \"robusta and arabic\" beans.

Wanna try a good European coffee?? Try some Portuguese brands, thats why we are an a-typical country.

Against all odds, 85% of our coffee is consumed outside and only 15% is consumed at home, why?? Cause we appreciate the best Expresso, and, unless you have a good Expresso machine at home, outside is the only way to find it.

Anyway, if u want a brand in particular, try Buondi Café. Probably one of the best in Portugal, with a typical strong and heavy body flavour, since the roasting is made kinda the Italian way, with some Portugese adaptation.

Check it out: www.buondicaffe.com/

OBS: Feel free to ask for a sample...if i send it to Italy io can also send it to wherever u are :)

davidsbiscotti

Oct 4, 2007
Visit site
Well I'm shocked you dug this deep into the forum archives to find this post. Heh, honestly I'm a bit dismayed at my own post, to see it now after learning so much over the last year about coffee and its origins. The Spanish espresso blend I was enjoying was just that, a blend and a very good one in fact. It was most likely arabica beans from Africa and Central America, roasted slightly beyond second crack. It was hella good, especially considering I'd just gotten off of Folgers a month before.

Anyway, thanks for your post and your recommendation. Nice website. I see you spell expresso with an "x" in Portugal? Cool....

arpi

Sep 29, 2008
Visit site
I am from Madrid but living in the US. The coffee in Spain (torrefacto) is not really that good by itself but combined with other food makes it good. Most of the time you drink coffee with milk and churros (expert talking :grin: ) and the combination turns out good. Torrefacto by itself has a very strong taste that needs a little help. But! old folks get use to it and don''t like nothing else! it is like smoking dark tabaco without filters

cinetech

Apr 25, 2009
Visit site
It has to be Italian for espresso.
French a close second.

Spanish are not that sophisticated.
I lived there by the way, and was always looking for an Italian coffee shop
to drink my espresso.

Its probably slightly more complicated than you think. For instance the regional differences in Italy (from say Napoli, Campania to Susegana Treviso, or Udine in the Northeast) are huge. Trieste in the NE brings in a lot of coffee from India, Kenya and Indonesia. Genoa in the West from the Americas. The different blends, plus the tendency to roast darker (and blend with robusta) as you follow the boot down make for an ecclectic and interesting range of coffee blends.

I assume the same is true for most of Europe. The portugeuse post is interesting- I would assume the ties that bound to colonies that produce coffee such as East Timor, Brazil etc still exist.

Personally my only real experience is my time in Italy...so I will have to give that country the 2 thumbs up

coffeecatalyst

Mar 24, 2011
Visit site
Yes not bad...they are owned by Nestle which means Buondi is probably a solid national brand with swiss flair for cool music! :)

Sorry for reviving a (very) old thread, but as a new member, I was looking for something I could at least respond to.

I grew up on Douwe Egberts (red) coffee, and since I moved, I haven't been able to find it here. My parents send over a few packs every now and then though.

As a replacement, I settled for "Folgers Gourmet Supreme" and while considerably weaker in taste and strength, if you use enough of it in the filter, its the closest I have been able to get that taste from home.

OldSalt

May 16, 2011
Abu Dhabi, UAE
Visit site
After nine years in Italy and Spain, with sojourns to Malta, Greece, Turkey, etc., etc., my favorite for consistency was Lavazza Il Perfetto Espresso. It gives beautiful crema and dark color, and has a strong rich flavor with lots of chocolates that I like with natural sugar for just a bit of molasses to top off the confection. I buy it by the case.

PeterCoffee

Jun 6, 2011
Visit site
Lavazza is very consistent. Their blends do a great job of keeping things tasting the same year to year. I had coffee at a place named Sant Eustachio in Rome. It was excellent going down but it was very tough on my stomach afterward. He roasts his espresso very light, but i wouldn't think that accounted for this. I looked at his green coffee and could discern only centrals. has anyone else had this experience?

DirtyDave

I vote for Portugal!
For commercial coffee available in valve bags (not cans), I have had overwhelmingly positive experiences with Portugese coffee.
Italy.......I personally don't favor any of the Lavazza offerings, ditto Segafredo and Illy. Not to say I haven't had good coffee in Italy.
France......gaack.....robustas everywhere, it's like smoking seeds and stems.
Portugese wines are also really good and good value.

I vote for Portugal too, and must admit that the Italian coffee I've tasted has mostly been too dark and too much robusta (for my taste), though good if you just want a caffeine hit!
How is it that nobody has mentioned England when answering the original question "Which European is best"?..........O.K., I expect some harsh responses to that last statement!

Cheers.