sensative stomachs?

CandMllsp

Mar 25, 2009
Visit site
That was always a problem with me too and the trick is to add a pinch of baking soda to the basket before you brew or two pinches if you like stronger coffee beans. Works really well to neutralize the acidity and there is no after taste just smooth coffee flavor. My friends don't even notice and my friend R. has the same problem only more so. I get the baking soda from a natural food store but I'm sure good old Arm & Hammer is o.k. too. :)

Jan 18, 2008
MASS.
Visit site
tletourneau said:
You could try a Sumatra or lower grown Brazil or India. Also the darker the roast the lower the acid (normally).

I've found that African coffees are even less acidic than Sumatrans. Much smoother, but still warm, earthy flavor.

CandMllsp - What's with the baking soda trick? Sounds interesting, but doesn't it affect the natural flavors of the coffee? Welcome to the forum by the way. :D

CandMllsp

Mar 25, 2009
Visit site
No, not at all. It only neutralizes the acidity and does nothing to alter the taste. It's just baking soda and only a pinch.

Thanks! I found it by accident while looking for something else...imagine that! :)

justH

Oct 14, 2009
Boulder, CO
Visit site
I've read about a cold brewing process that results in almost 70% less acidity - or so they claim. This creates some kind of coffee extract that hot or cold water can be added to and is supposed to have wonderful flavor and be much easier on the stomach. The machine I saw was called the Hourglass and there's more info about that at their site (they sell them on Amazon too I believe). Someone commented on the original article I found and stated that they used tea bags that you fill yourself and just put coffee in them instead of buying the machine. I haven't had any problems with the regular coffee process or acidity so I haven't tried any of these myself but might provide some relief w/o having to give up the black sludge! Hope that helps.