Consumer Reports Reviews National Coffee Brands

essentialwonders

Apr 5, 2007
Akron, Ohio
Visit site
As usual Consumer Reports puts out another bogus report on a product, they stated that Starbucks and Dunkin Donuts were among the top 3 coffees available. They stated the test was based on Acidity, Bitterness, Smoothness, and taste. We all know those coffees are Bitter, high Acidity, not smooth, and have a horrible after taste. Why don't they ever include coffee companies that actually roast high quality coffee, again Consumer Reports has proved their reports are biased.

shadow745

Aug 15, 2005
Central North Carolina
Visit site
Yeah exactly... they always take off the shelf garbage that is old and preground for these taste tests. Artisan roasted product should be included and compared, but then again that might hurt a few feelings and Consumer Reports might be getting their palms greased by these larger companies. Whatever!

jlyon10

Super Moderator
Feb 16, 2007
Clemmons, NC
Visit site
My wife takes great stock in what Consumer Reports says. Then she tells me those are the characteristics of the coffee she likes compared to what I roast. I just don't get it, it must be something physcological.

shadow745

Aug 15, 2005
Central North Carolina
Visit site
Tell you what I think it is... I believe that people grow up being exposed to crappy coffee and to them that is the standard to which everything is compared to. They try something fresh ground, fresh brewed with really fresh beans and it usually sets them back when they taKe a sip.. maybe some can't train their tastebuds...

Tell you how some are in our area... I pick up beans that are roasted that day then keep them onhand around 2 weeks/3 MAX and grind, brew on site and keep piping hot in air pots. Then I either refresh with a small batch 3-4 hrs. later or dump and brew more altogether. We charge $1.75 for a 12 oz. cup and $2 for the 16 oz. and that includes tax... Some people would rather go to the local convenience store and pay $1 or whatever the average price for old, burnt crap that has been sitting in that carafe for hours. To them that's the norm...

Whatever!