Instant Coffee

JDean

Dec 12, 2010
Visit site
I would like to hear from everyone regarding their take on instant coffee. My perception is that it is not very popular in America but it is gaining attention. Starbucks sells instant coffees (the taste is not very good), and several of the coffee houses in Spokane sell different brands as well. I have seen straight black instant coffee, both 2in1 and 3in1 instant coffees, and flavored instants. The 3in1 and the 2in1 are usually pre-mixed with sugar and milk. I am thinking of doing a video blog comparing instant coffees and would appreciate some feedback. If you are interested in instant coffee you can get it online at http://www.peetscoffee.com, http://www.starbucks.com, http://www.asianwhitecoffee.com, http://www.peetscoffee.com, and a host of other places. If you live in the Spokane area a great place to get it in person is Brews Brothers.

shadow745

Aug 15, 2005
Central North Carolina
Visit site
My take on it is simple.... it's basically a delivery system for caffeine and not much more. If you like convenience, consistency and have that "it's just coffee" mentality, then instant is the way to go. I will admit instant is probably better than it was years ago when I first started on my coffee venture, but I can't imagine it being that much better. Later!

rlauzon

Nov 30, 2009
Visit site
The only "instant" coffee that I've felt tasted good was something like a cold-brew system (like Hourglass) that produced a coffee extract that you mixed with hot water. I used to use this for brining my own (far superior) coffee to work.

Like Shadow745 said, if you are looking for caffeine delivery, instant is a way to go (but places like Think Geek have much tastier ways to get your caffeine fix). But instant today still can't deliver on the flavor that I get from brewing my own.

coffeelogicuk

Nov 26, 2010
Herts
Visit site
Instant has its place as an easy serve drink with very little to do other than boil a kettle. In the workplace it is ideal for cafes who need to serve drinks quickly to customers on the move without the space nor staff commitment to barista training as one example. It's not brilliant and is nowhere near fresh bean but it does what it says on the tin!

PinkRose

Super Moderator
Staff member
Feb 28, 2008
Near Philadelphia, PA
Visit site
I don't drink instant coffee, but my mother keeps some around for when she doesn't feel like making a whole pot.

She has tested all sorts of instant coffees, and her newest favorite is Taster's Choice House Blend in the single serve packs (roast intensity is between light and medium). Apparently, the single serve packs helps keep the instant coffee "fresher." I usually have already had my fill of coffee before I go to visit her, and since I don't drink instant coffee anyway, I can't be a judge on this one...

Rose

NataliaR

Mar 28, 2012
Visit site
Instant coffee carries a negative stigma among coffee folk

I'm currently am testing the waters on instant coffee reception both in the U.S. and abroad. Instant coffee is definitely a convenience and consistency product and most companies producing instant coffee have treated the product in that "it's just coffee" mentality. So it isn't hard to see that instant coffee doesn't have a great rep. Low quality coffee and fast/cheap processing that usually goes into instant doesn't make it any easier. Plus, for most Coffee aficionados Coffee is an entire ritual in it's own right. The machines, the process and of course the different outcomes. Instant doesn't play into this well at all.

I hate to plug my stuff, but I'm currently giving it a go at this instant coffee stigma. I have these pretty cool instant coffee cubes that are already sweetened with this popular sugar called Panela, which is raw and unrefined cane sugar. I paid a bit extra to use Colombian Supremo beans, only to pulverize them into granules. It was considered a sacrilege to some, using this quality bean to make instant coffee. But I've surprise quite a bit of people with the taste from these.

Check out Jiva Cubes if your interested.

OGmahatha

Mar 30, 2012
USA
Visit site
Do you guys agree with this Forums administrators comments regarding a healthy coffee? Saying that "I don't care if gano made you stand up and you've been crippled your entire life" . I think its quite crazy actually. Please let me know what you think. I only want to help!

Moka-Pot

Feb 20, 2012
Visit site
NataliaR - I actually think that's an awesome idea.

Although many people might not use it as a first choice, it's a great idea for when you're not able to brew fresh coffee or get to a coffee shop easily.

Not sure how many people here have been through extended power outages during storms, but it's not uncommon for us to lose power for up to a week or more during hurricane season. Your product would be a great option during times like that.

Moka-Pot

Feb 20, 2012
Visit site
Do you guys agree with this Forums administrators comments regarding a healthy coffee? Saying that "I don't care if gano made you stand up and you've been crippled your entire life" . I think its quite crazy actually. Please let me know what you think. I only want to help!

personally, i agree with that decision.

and, to be honest, it sounds too much like guano to sound appetizing to me - and, why does it have to be in coffee?

i just assumed that stuff was some MLM or affiliate scheme

NataliaR

Mar 28, 2012
Visit site
great point!

@Mako- Thanks! We totally agree on the power outage ordeal, we live in Florida and we have gone over three weeks without power before. It can be tough. Instant coffee can't compete with brewed counterparts (normally) but without power it'll be easy to see what makes people happier.

PinkRose

Super Moderator
Staff member
Feb 28, 2008
Near Philadelphia, PA
Visit site

OGmahatha,

The best way you can help is to stop posting messages about Gano.

The coffee forum is a place for discussions about coffee and the ways people enjoy coffee. It's not a place to promote herbal remedies, pharmaceuticals, or anything that resembles a "healthy cure all." If Gano is allowed, then everyone else who thinks they have a healthy coffee will want to post their products, schemes, and get rich quick deals. Gano is not welcome on this forum. Perhaps you can find another forum that welcomes this type of disussion and join that one instead.

Rose

PinkRose

Super Moderator
Staff member
Feb 28, 2008
Near Philadelphia, PA
Visit site
NataliaR,

There is still a huge market for instant coffee.....the supermarkets seem to dedicate a lot of shelf space for it. I think your Jiva Cube idea has a good chance of catching on. I wish you lots of luck with it.

Rose

marcavanyo

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
NataliaR,

There is still a huge market for instant coffee.....the supermarkets seem to dedicate a lot of shelf space for it. I think your Jiva Cube idea has a good chance of catching on. I wish you lots of luck with it.

Rose

In my country, the market-share of "instant coffee" is higher than "coffee". All the coffee-company here finally providing an "instant" version of their brands ...