Which brand of coffee is the Rolls Royce of all coffee?

motif

Apr 3, 2011
Visit site
Hi,
I've just made a step forward and gave up instant coffee, bought a espresso machine but I'd like to buy the best possible coffee. Any help here? I started with lavazza coffee which tastes quite good. Which coffee is better? and more expensive? :-D

thanks

Last edited by a moderator:

Kevin O'Gara

Mar 30, 2011
Atlanta, GA
Visit site
I am certainly prejudiced, but I would recommend you try our coffee from J. Martinez & Co, you can find us on-line at J. Martinez & Co. - World's Finest Coffees - 100% Jamaica Blue Mountain Coffee, 100% Kona Coffee, Estate Coffee, Single Origin Coffee. We have an excellent espresso. I would also recommend that you get a good burr grinder while you are upgrading. Though we will grind the coffee for you, fresh ground is the best.

While I favor our own coffees, coffee is like wine and everyone has their own palate. Try several coffees to see what you like the best. And read the forums on espresso here - they are quite enlightening as to making a good cup of espresso.

Randy G.

May 8, 2008
California
Visit site
There is no way anyone can answer that question for you. You may as well ask, "What is the most comfortable underwear?"

Like underwear, food choices are totally subjective. The best way to find out is to buy different coffees and taste them. Additionally, the grinder, the espresso machine, and even the water all have an effect on the taste of the espresso, so going into a coffee shop and tasting their espresso does not mean that you will get the same taste at home.

For example, when I upgraded my home setup (last time) I had to change my house blend as the new grinder brought out flavors that I didn't like. Later I readjusted that once again- it's one of the perks of home roasting.

If you change the question to include where you live and what equipment you have it may help in getting answers from others with the same or similar setups. They may even be able to help find a supplier nearby. You should update your profile page with some biographical info. Clink on your screen name at the very top of the page to get there.

Last edited:

motif

Apr 3, 2011
Visit site
thanks, it's hard to say where I live exactly because I travel a lot,
recently mostly in Europe but I lived 15 years in US and to be honest
I never drunk so awful coffee anywhere else. Dunkin donuts and even Starbucks
shouldn't name their drinks a coffee...

Randy G.

May 8, 2008
California
Visit site
While both those chains have, in the past, been known for the quality of their coffee, that was many years ago. Just as you would not go to McDonald's to find out what good meat is like, you should not go to Dunkin or Starbies to find out what goods coffee is like. Those two chains are to provide the masses with a hot, caffeine and fat laden milk shake in the morning, and that is about all I can say about them in a very positive light. As you travel, post the city you are in and maybe folks can guide to to a decent cup.

kris7047th

Mar 24, 2011
Monroe, Mich
Visit site
For me it isn't just the *best Brand* that determines my purchase. For daily consumption a good coffee for the dollar. I have been really impressed with the Kroger brand which has been pretty decent. A week ago, I decided to take a chance on Walmart *Great Value* a medium roast. I am pleasantly surprised as to how good it really is. When I decide to treat myself, I usually will order from Raven's Brew out of Alaska. My fav's are *Three Peckered Billy Goat* and *Dead Man's Reach*.

kris7047th

Mar 24, 2011
Monroe, Mich
Visit site
While both those chains have, in the past, been known for the quality of their coffee, that was many years ago. Just as you would not go to McDonald's to find out what good meat is like, you should not go to Dunkin or Starbies to find out what goods coffee is like. Those two chains are to provide the masses with a hot, caffeine and fat laden milk shake in the morning, and that is about all I can say about them in a very positive light. As you travel, post the city you are in and maybe folks can guide to to a decent cup.
Randy, have you tried Tim Horton's coffee? Darn good coffee for a chain.

shadow745

Aug 15, 2005
Central North Carolina
Visit site
Randy, have you tried Tim Horton's coffee? Darn good coffee for a chain.

First person I've heard say that. I think the biggest problem with any place coffee is served is FRESHNESS. Equipment, water quality, skilled operators, etc. play a big part but without fresh coffee nothing will fall into place.

Back to what OP is asking, I second what Randy is saying. There is NO best coffee in the world, only what one likes. AND I for one will never buy into the JBM or Kona craze when so many fantastic coffees that have exotic flavors all their own can be had MUCH cheaper.

Andyg

May 4, 2011
Visit site
I'm a recently converted fan of the pod coffees. They are consistently the same flavour. The Lavazza pods are excellent and you can often get a free machine out of it. I spent years running a cafe and the amount of changes we went through with blends, quality and brands, it's wonderful to make a cafe quality cuppa at home and not have to clean up a mess. "tvcoffee" offer I saw advertised has won me over.

Last edited:

Randy G.

May 8, 2008
California
Visit site
Kris7047th,
I do not buy roasted coffee. I have been home roasting and blending for ten years. Years ago I did buy commercial green blends but stopped that long ago as well. besides always having fresh coffee, one of the joys of home roasting is the ability to blend to your own taste, and to switch things up ponce in a while just to make sure your taste buds are paying attention!

shadow745

Aug 15, 2005
Central North Carolina
Visit site
I'm sure there are some great Italian grown/processed coffees available, such as Illy and others, but by the time you buy it here in the US anything great it had to offer is long gone.

I just can't understand why so many think coffees like these are so awesome when most haven't given their local roasters a shot. Nothing beats fresh.