coffee brand review

idrinkcoffee2011

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
which brand do you love and which do you dislike and why?

for me i hate maxwell house and folgers now. both their tastes have gone way downhill and more importantly i don't think those are effective mental stimulants anymore.

idrinkcoffee2011

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
it just the american craps sucks. mh and folgers instants. i tried the dutch brand instant
Douwe Egberts, and it consistently stimulates. the good sign is i can feel stimulation go up and make me caution that if i take too much it can crash.

the other american brands whether instant or brewed, no matter how much i take it doesn't up after initial take. and it starts off weak anyways and the stimulation evaporate fast and doesn;t stay enough.

another life lesson here. when the american products suck go to the europeans. japanese is good too.

Last edited:

sowen7276

May 12, 2012
Atlanta
Visit site
If you can get the process down right, buying fresh green (un roasted) coffee from your local farmers market and roasting your own is the way to go. I started roasting my own from time to time and it's really the best! I write for coffeemagazine.com and documented one of my roasts (my second one actually) that you can check out. When you don't have time to roast, buying fresh roasted coffee whole bean coffee is your best bet. Check out gourmetcoffee.com or coffeebeandirect.com for some great coffee. Remember to buy whole bean and grind it yourself for optimal freshness. Hope this helps! P.S. I am in love with Costa Rica coffee right now and really recommend trying some.

idrinkcoffee2011

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
If you can get the process down right, buying fresh green (un roasted) coffee from your local farmers market and roasting your own is the way to go. I started roasting my own from time to time and it's really the best! I write for coffeemagazine.com and documented one of my roasts (my second one actually) that you can check out. When you don't have time to roast, buying fresh roasted coffee whole bean coffee is your best bet. Check out gourmetcoffee.com or coffeebeandirect.com for some great coffee. Remember to buy whole bean and grind it yourself for optimal freshness. Hope this helps! P.S. I am in love with Costa Rica coffee right now and really recommend trying some.

i heard talk about bean losing strength and all as soon as they are ground up. thus the recommendation to only grind the amount you need for like max freshness. but does this way up the caffeine potency of the coffee in any way or is it just all about taste? my concern is on cognition and mood.

never done it this way before, would appreciate feedback from other that had. thanks!

CanadianBrian

Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
The reason for grinding right before brewing is all for freshness. The bean starts to stale as soon as it is done roasting and increases as gassing off completes. By grinding it you are increasing the surface area of the coffee so that oxygen can affect the coffee and essential oils, and you loose aromatics during this staling process as well.
I don't think that it affects the caffine content. I believe that that is by type of bean and type of roast. By different roasting degrees you can actually decrease the amount of caffine in a bean but you cannot increase the amount.
Brian