Looking to buy a used Probat L5 ...

thelmese

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site
Starting a coffee roasting business... need a roaster! Located in Sackets Harbor, NY... Any leads as to where else I can look for one? Thanks

dstrand

Apr 25, 2012
SF Bay Area
Visit site
Hi Thelmese,

Best of luck on your new venture. Question; Why a probat, specifically? There are quite a few solid roasters on the market. Do you have experience on this model?

Roast Magazine has a classified section. There are a few roasters listed.
Here's the link; Classifieds

I hope that's helpful.

Regards,
Dave

thelmese

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site
why a probat?

Well... we did research by travelling through New England and talking talking talking !!! Seems that Probat was a fan favorite! We literally never spoke to anyone that didn't use a probat. We are going to NEED to consider other makes/models or we will never be an actual roasting company - we won't have a roaster! Any suggestions would be appreciated.... thank you!

eldub

Mar 28, 2012
Visit site
The SCAA's roaster's guild holds a retreat and blind taste test with beans roasted in most all of the major manufacturers machines every year. (Pretty sure Probat attends.) For four years straight, the top award went to a manufacturer in the US. We'll never know if they could have made it five in a row, as the guild didn't allow the manufacturer in question to participate in the contest this past August.

thelmese

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site
Message me your thoughts! Everyone has their favorites - but we are new! I am open to anything at this point.

bprotsman

Jan 13, 2008
Ft Lauderdale
Visit site
The L series from Probat is great! Like dstrand mentioned, lots of other solid roasters out there. Probat has a great name and story behind it but don't shy away from checking out other roasters.