Advice for New Roaster

Green

Nov 19, 2012
Oregon
Visit site
Hey guys and gals! I've been a hobby roaster for the past three years, using a Gene Cafe with a half pound capacity. I'm completely self-taught and have been selling a few pounds here and there, with positive comments.

I was recently able to convince what will be a new coffee roaster/shop that I should be their roaster. I'm terribly excited to have this chance to take the lead on a new roasting production and to get into the roasting industry in this way.

But I'm inexperienced and in need of advice. Luckily the owners have found another roaster willing to train me for one week before I get let loose on our 8 pound machine. Till I get into his shop, do you have any advice/tips for me? Or resources for me to read?

Also, my future employer and I have yet to talk about wage. What should I expect in pay as their lead/only roaster with my level of experience? I am based in the North West.

eldub

Mar 28, 2012
Visit site
Cool.

However, I would consider buying the book in order to have a copy available for reference purposes. Or at least maybe make copies of relevant pages to keep at the shop. (The sections on roast times and profiles as well as the coffee characteristics by country and the blending information stand out, imo.)