Looking to buy 5 kilo roaster - new or used..advice please - Ambex, US Roaster Corp

coffeem

Nov 28, 2012
Visit site
I am looking to purchase a 5 kilo roaster...used or new. located in Atlanta, GA. Looking at Ambex or US Roaster (for new) or other brands as used (Diedrich, Ambex, US Roaster, etc). Anyone have experience with Ambex or US Roaster. Ambex is now run by one of the founders of the company. Noiticed he has several machines on Ebay (wonders why)....Any tips or leads on used machines
Thanks!

chast

Jul 30, 2006
MA
Visit site
I have two roasters made by US Roaster Corp and have never had any problems. Dan has the best customer service of them all. Simple, well built machine. The fact that the drum is turned by a direct drive gear motor is a plus with me. He has some videos on you tube of a 3kg and his sample roaster. If you type in revelation roaster in your web browser it will bring you to his other site that has several videos of different models.
Charlie

coffeem

Nov 28, 2012
Visit site
I have two roasters made by US Roaster Corp and have never had any problems. Dan has the best customer service of them all. Simple, well built machine. The fact that the drum is turned by a direct drive gear motor is a plus with me. He has some videos on you tube of a 3kg and his sample roaster. If you type in revelation roaster in your web browser it will bring you to his other site that has several videos of different models.
Charlie

thank you Charlie. I appreciate your comments. If you don't mind me asking, which models do you have?

eldub

Mar 28, 2012
Visit site
We have a 12 kg from US Roasters Corps bought new in July. I've really enjoyed roasting on this machine. Dan is a good guy and includes a day of training when you purchase a roaster from him.

lw

chast

Jul 30, 2006
MA
Visit site
thank you Charlie. I appreciate your comments. If you don't mind me asking, which models do you have?

I have their 3Kg and Sample roaster. Chris from LaGrange Coffee Roasters, ( on the web) has 5KG he purchased.
Was going to buy an 18Kg but saw a 2012 left over Harley Softail Deluxe and a price I could not resist!!
Charlie

coffeem

Nov 28, 2012
Visit site
Thanks Charlie!....I will call Chris....so far I am leaning towards US Roaster....For one thing they at least answer the phone everytime I call and look like they are a real company...not just someone who hides behind an answering machine and only returns messages via email or are 1-person shop.

expat

May 1, 2012
Ireland
Visit site
For what it is worth, I've got an Ozturk 10kg. Good machine and The Lovely & Talented Roast Mistress really likes the fact that it has a cast iron drum instead of steel, nice "soft" heat, great for slow roasting and really bringing out the best in the bean.

eldub

Mar 28, 2012
Visit site
I'm not sure cast iron can inherently roast any slower than stainless steel. And I'd be willing to bet that the cast iron itself imparts more flavor to the beans than the stainless does.