DIY Home Roasting Vent?

devindmoon

(I tried searching the forums for information related to my question and didn't find anything, but if there are other related threads, on this forum or elsewhere, feal free to redirect me to them.)

I seem to get good advice from these forums, so here I go again with a question:

Does anyone have any ideas/tips for building your own ventilation system for roasting indoors (garage, shed, storage unit, etc) and having the smoke pumped outside? I know there are lots of commercial equipment you can purchase, but I'm not quite there yet.

I use a home-made, 1K (2.5Lb ish) drum roaster that pumps a good amount of smoke out of the top-loader (I call it the chimney.)

Something like a hoodvent with some piping leading outside would work.

Perhaps a centrifugal fan of sorts, with some piping from the roaster, to the fan, to a window?

Anyone done something like this before, or seen it done?
Thanks!

~ Devin

devindmoon

I'm trying to imagine how exactly that would pan out.

I found this video of a DIY dust collector that may do the trick. I wonder, though, if the fact that I'm dealing with smoke AND chaff (not just dust) would mess up something like a shop vac constantly sucking in smoke.

How To Make A Homemade Dust Collector - YouTube

I'll probably be in a friend's garage (at least temporarily) and don't want to turn it into a coffee hot-box. I realize that this means I need to not only suck up smoke from my chimney/bean-depositing top-loader (functions like a paintball gun hopper), but I'll also need to catch the smoke from the bean drop/mouth, as well as a sort of bean cooling system (which I don't yet have) that sucks the smoke out.

OR... just attach a large enough... thing... to the air-intake hose (sorta like a DIY stove hood-vent) so as to suck up everything all at once, within a, say, 3sq.ft area?

I had it easy at the last place I roasted. There was an industrial sized grease-cooking grade hoodvent that sucked up all the smoke that I could wish to create.

CoffeeJunky

Dec 7, 2012
Michigan, US
Visit site
I'm trying to imagine how exactly that would pan out.

I found this video of a DIY dust collector that may do the trick. I wonder, though, if the fact that I'm dealing with smoke AND chaff (not just dust) would mess up something like a shop vac constantly sucking in smoke.

How To Make A Homemade Dust Collector - YouTube

I'll probably be in a friend's garage (at least temporarily) and don't want to turn it into a coffee hot-box. I realize that this means I need to not only suck up smoke from my chimney/bean-depositing top-loader (functions like a paintball gun hopper), but I'll also need to catch the smoke from the bean drop/mouth, as well as a sort of bean cooling system (which I don't yet have) that sucks the smoke out.

OR... just attach a large enough... thing... to the air-intake hose (sorta like a DIY stove hood-vent) so as to suck up everything all at once, within a, say, 3sq.ft area?

I had it easy at the last place I roasted. There was an industrial sized grease-cooking grade hoodvent that sucked up all the smoke that I could wish to create.
ca

can you post up picture of your roaster?
I would have better idea if i can see what i am dealing with..

Thanks