Feedback on #5 Royal Roaster

artdujour

Mar 4, 2013
Santa Cruz
Visit site
I have an opportunity for a project in the form of an antique #5 Royal Coffee Brand. Anyone care to share the good, bad and the ugly? Project looks fairly complete, needs a cosmetic overhaul but otherwise a true treasure. I'd use daily and for educational classes- am I biting off a big byte of responsibility that could easily be serviced without the project aspect.

GAR

Dec 27, 2011
Visit site
I roasted on a Royal #5 for several years and thought it was a wonderful roaster. It has a perforated drum so you do have to be careful about possible scorching of the beans. It's important to get the correct gas valve controls. Like most, if not all, of the old drum roasters, it's a fairly simple machine that requires hands-on attention. You don't simply put in a program and walk away. You must be on top of the roast at all times. But that's the true art of roasting coffee and the Royal is a fine machine for someone who is interested in the manual art of roasting. I was able to develop consistent roast profiles from light to dark with no problem. And besides, it's a really cool piece of art.

Good luck!

topher

Super Moderator
Staff member
Aug 14, 2003
Boca Raton
Visit site
I used one as well. It was built in 1896. Worked like a charm! Only problem I had was when someone fiddled with the gas regulator. I went to light the roaster and gas was pouring out the regulator with out me knowing...boom. I was ok but I lost my 7 inch goatee. One question though. Does it have the cooling bin? I can't remember seeing one with a cooling bin. I had to build one for the one I used.