Bought a (new to me) roaster, does anyone know anything about it?

odysea

Jan 15, 2013
Florida
Visit site
After reading the strong feelings on the Chinese roaster thread, I'm almost afraid to post this!

After spending several months roasting for farmers markets on a 2 barrel Probat sample roaster, I lucked into finding a used roaster in an espresso machine store, which will cut my roasting time from 30 hours a week to less than 2. The shop owner had bought it used from one of his clients who was selling their business and knew nothing about it. He said he had been told it was custom made in South Carolina, though the Asian numbers on the temperature gauges make me skeptical. I decided to buy it anyway, and pray everything works as it should.

Has anyone ever seen this before? Know the brand? I was told it was 5kg, but looks more like 2.

Any insight or words of wisdom would be great. I've been in the coffee business for 7 years on the green trading side, as well as running a large origin milling operation, and thought roasting would be a fun project, but am completely a rookie when it comes to this part.
i-6TBPrLt-M.jpgi-QXhTzv2-M.jpgi-HvnRk36-M.jpgi-M2DP8jP-M.jpg

odysea

Jan 15, 2013
Florida
Visit site
Thanks CJ. Someone suggested that it was from North Coffee in China. I started roasting and the thermostat was way off ... forget about burning beans, I almost burned down my house! The temp kept going higher and higher. I doubt the temperature was accurate, but i set it for 150celsius and it went to 1316c!! Needless to say I need some repair.

i-8L5rbmW-M.jpgi-k9GJ3bX-M.jpgi-PRgGgLq-M.jpg

CoffeeJunky

Dec 7, 2012
Michigan, US
Visit site
Yes this is Chinese Roaster. It is very simple roaster that you need to control the temp yourself by switching heat on and off.

By the size of the machine, this is either 1kg or 2kg machine I doubt it is 5kg machine. As you know 5kg machine would be much bigger....
I will send the picture to my friend if you want and see it says or we have few chinese members here and they can translate it......

topher

Super Moderator
Staff member
Aug 14, 2003
Boca Raton
Visit site
I would have the controller fixed. If you set it and it doesn't turn off...thats not good. Yes you can manually turn off the heat but there will be that one time when you forget or walk away to do something. My 60 kilo has a manual over ride. If you turn it on it will not shut off. I disconnected this when I was at my last place. When I had it rebuilt they reconnected it. Someone bumped it by accident. There was a fire. Since then I have disconnected it. Have you roasted on it yet? I would roast 2 kilos on full heat and see how long it takes...if its done in 8 minutes....its a 5 kilo ;)

topher

Super Moderator
Staff member
Aug 14, 2003
Boca Raton
Visit site
coffeemachines111. One can not say that the north coffee equipment roaster is nicer just by looking at the pics. You have to get on it and roast. Do you work for them? You sure do promote them pretty hard. I can tell you this. I can't comment on the NCEC raosters because I have never used one. I personally wouldn't buy one.

CoffeeJunky

Dec 7, 2012
Michigan, US
Visit site
coffeemachines111. One can not say that the north coffee equipment roaster is nicer just by looking at the pics. You have to get on it and roast. Do you work for them? You sure do promote them pretty hard. I can tell you this. I can't comment on the NCEC raosters because I have never used one. I personally wouldn't buy one.

Coffeemachines111: I agree with Topher.... It is very annoying to see every thread with roaster you have posted about North Coffee... Please stop....

odysea

Jan 15, 2013
Florida
Visit site
Well, I plugged it in, started it up, and the 30 amp plug I just had professionally installed blew within 5 minutes. Coffee was scorched. Unreal how hot it got. I definitely need to get the roaster repaired. I think I need a new thermostat, thermometer and maybe some rewiring after opening it up and having a look.

Does anyone know of someone who does roaster repair in Florida, or what other kind of person I could go to? I emailed and called Roaster Authority a few times but they haven't responded and that was my most likely source.

Thanks,
Chris