papua new guinea shortage?

tortillatree

Feb 8, 2008
Western Pennsylvania
Visit site
i noticed something that i wanted to give everyone a head's up about. On Friday, Royal NY had 140 bags of Papua New Guinea A and 40 bags of AA beans for sale out of East Coast warehouse. On Monday, all of the A bags disappeared off the sheet, which is crazy -- that should have lasted them a couple months at least. On Tuesday, all of the AA bags disappeared from the inventory sheet!! I had heard that there was going to be a PNG shortage because they have an off-production every 4 years when it is an election year due to strife and uncertainty, and this was the election year, but the next harvest isn't until the fall, so if the shortage is already starting, it's going to be a long time before there is replenishment.

so anyway, there are still new guinea beans available at most of the other brokerages, and royalny also still has an organic A/X size bean (which basically means they're not sorted by size) but if you roast papua new guinea year round, keep an eye on it, and you might want to stock up while there is still some to be had.

other than that, i know hawaii has been having low harvests, but they're working on getting that back up. does anyone else know anything about coffee supplies or have heard of trouble areas? the latest speculation i heard is that almost all the countries are having great crops, and the base price is supposed to keep falling as much as another 10 cents from now into June.

Latest posts