Anyone good with propane?!

Bradleysteenkamp

Dec 19, 2012
Horsham, UK
Visit site
Hello all,

ive got my new 15kg ozturk roaster setup but am having issues getting it running. The user manual states that it requires 30mbar. It is currently connected to a propane cylinder via 8mm propane hose and a 37mbar regulator.

On the gas input gague its reading low at just 22-24mbar. I can get the pilot light going but once the burners take the gas control unit trips off.

I first want to figure out why I'm only getting 22mbar on the gague and not higher.

Does anyone have any thoughts or advice?!

thanks in advance. Really want to get it up and running!

topher

Super Moderator
Staff member
Aug 14, 2003
Boca Raton
Visit site
Call a gas guy. I had a similar issue...I adjusted my regulator. To be honest...I wouldn't suggest doing this unless you know what you are doing.

sae

Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
The regulators that usually come with 20lb propane tanks have a safety limit switch so if the flow goes too high it cuts off. If you are running it off a 20lb propane tank then you can get the regulators on ebay - get an adjustable one (0-5psi or 0-10 psi) that includes a pressure gauge and adjust it until you get the recommended pressure. These are the same regulators used on turkey fryers and used a lot in home beer brewing setups.

Bradleysteenkamp

Dec 19, 2012
Horsham, UK
Visit site
Thanks guys! Having a tough time finding a gas guy that will do commercial propane work, not many around my area in the UK. Did find a guy who recommended trying a more suitable regulator so will order one of those.

Thamks!

expat

May 1, 2012
Ireland
Visit site
Bradley, I'm across the Irish Sea from you, out near Galway. I've got a 10k Ozturk. It does a nice job. See if you can find a Novacomet regulator. They make a 29mbar regulator. As to finding a 'gas guy' try your boiler repair guy. While he's mainly working with oil fired heaters he should be able to help you out as he no doubt also deals with propane fired boilers as well.