Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
    Excellent point.

Quote Originally Posted by eldub View Post
    You can roast pretty small batches of beans in a 6lb machine. We have a 25 lb roaster that can put out a pound or two of coffee at a time, with no problem.Imo, the main issue arises when trying to roast a large number of sample batches in a row. A large roaster simply gets too hot to handle many tiny batches consecutively.That is my experience with a 25 lb roaster. I don't think I need a sample roaster and really doubt I'd feel the need for one if working with a 6 lb unit.
    Thank you, that makes sense. I just wasn't sure how small of batches you could roast in a roaster that is larger than a sample size roaster.

That is a good point. As a start up roaster I am going to do a lot of experimenting and I am sure I will be wasting plenty of beans in the process. My reasoning for a 6 pound roaster is to really learn the art and not be forced to roast test batches of 1 to 2 pounds at a time. From what I've seen, I could resell my 6 pound roaster without to much depreciation when I am ready to buy a larger roaster. Is this a true statement and an accurate assumption in your opinion?

@ Eldub,
    I have looked into US Roasters Corp. Does that price include anything other then just the roaster? How do their roasters compare to some of the foreign brands. What do you think the smallest batch that a 5kg roaster could roast effectively?

@Mr Shave,
    That makes complete sense when you put it that way. I understand the investment benefit of buying a larger roaster vs a small roaster. I am just fairly new at this and I have never roasted on a commercial roaster before. I have been roasting on a Behmore 1600 home roaster now for about 6 months. It just kind of scares me to jump right into a larger roaster due to the fact that I will be roasting a lot of practice batches before I am ready to offer my coffee to customers. Like Eldub said, I want to make the best impression I can.

Thank you everybody for your input and help by the way!

They say you can roast a pound of beans on the US Roaster Corp 5 kg unit.

The price includes a spanner wrench, a tube of food grade lube, lunch and a day of training on the unit. (At their factory in OK City.)

Btw, I look at the initial practice batches as an investment in your future success. We used those beans to develop roast profiles as well as blends. Samples were delivered to prospective wholesale accounts. We gave away hella pounds of beans from those batches to friends, family and neighbors, turning many folks into loyal customers in the process.)

We went with US Roaster Corp for many reasons. I like the stainless steel barrel. I like the fact that the unit is manufactured here in the US. I like the fact that this brand recently won the blind taste test four years in a row at the SCAA Roaster's Guild Retreat. (They weren't allowed to participate in the competition this last go round for some odd reason.)
    Last edited by eldub; 04-22-2013 at 09:18 PM.

Those are all great points. I am just anxious to get roasting in a professional roaster!
    Does the 5kg come with a chaff collector or any type of computer monitoring system? Would I need to add anything to the one with the price of $14,500 or would I be good in regards of equipment to get started?

External chaff collector is included. No computer monitoring system. (Can be purchased for an additional $4000 or so.)

We went with the manual unit and I'm still happy with that decision.

You will still need to purchase venting for the unit. It requires a col vent for the bean cooling fan as well as a class "A" hot pipe. (The class A ain't cheap, btw.) We had a friend with a wholesale account at a heating/plumbing supply order the hot venting for us on his account. That saved us a bunch of money.
    Last edited by eldub; 04-24-2013 at 07:06 AM.

I am thinking I would go with the manual system as well. I know some people in the heating and air business that I could probably do the same thing. About how much, ballpark figure, for the venting? Do many states require some type of emissions restrictions on coffee rosters?

Retail, the venting can run up to $100/foot. We went with stainless triple wall and paid a bit over $1000 for 14 or 15 feet of venting plus collar and top piece.

The convevtional shove pipe for the cool air venting was much cheaper.

As far as regs go, check with your local/state officials. Here in Iowa, a chaff collector is sufficient.
    Last edited by eldub; 04-24-2013 at 09:56 AM.

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links