Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9
    I will text you!

Music_Geek, your response was fanatastic! I truly appreciate your sharing so much of your philosophy and experience. I think you have answered all my questions and have given me confidence to discuss the next step in roasters with my partners. I do believe that 5KG is right.

My own personal philosophy is to throw in the waste bin any coffee that does not meet our standards. I will state that this has been easy to do with a 1KG and a 1/2 KG roaster. Would be difficult (but still necessary with a much larger roaster). We have a few people we can count on to blind taste the difference between various attempts and when they say "this is not good" we learn our lesson - toss it - and move on. Our goal is when people say "I do not need sugar or cream in this coffee - it's great black and better than what I have been drinking." We are also very fortunate to be able to sell our coffee for a much higher price than some which gives us the ability to only roast the highest quality beans. We pay anywhere from $4.50 to $5.50 per pound for green beans and buy in 50 - 400 pound lots. I have noticed even local specialty supermarkets in our area selling roasted Kenyan beans for as little as $8.00 for a 2 pound container. No sense in us trying to compete with that.

Somewhere along the way, I developed almost a "gut" feeling for roasting that kind of trancends the coffee roasting literature. Although my largest (1KG) roaster has complete computer capability via USB and laptop, I have only roasted in a completely manual mode. I think this has given me much more of a feel for roasting than sitting back on autopilot could ever have done. It's almost as if the beans are "talking" to you.

I do believe you are headed in the right direction. When you say you are buying a refractometer I know that is true. When I first got into the upscale coffee brewing and drinking side of this endeavor long before I roasted coffee, I knew that a refractometer would eventually be an important step in the journey to the best cup of coffee.

Again, thanks for the superb response. As a retired corporate type, I really like your business attitude. I recall one very well respected General Manager who told us during a meeting. "I can get any idiot to step in off the street to run this business at a loss." Sadly a lot of folks seems to have gone down that road. I love it when I hear of folks with a real methodical business plan. Wishing you all the best!

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links