Better looking beans

sae

Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Hello, I want to know how I can improve my roasting so that the beans have a better expansion. When I look at some of the beans that have been roasted by others I see very nice expansion but still the crack down the middle is still nice and light and I'm wondering how they do that. While my beans tastes good, I have no complaints there, I would like to make my visual appearance a little bit better. Any tips and tricks? So far I have only roaster Central and South American coffee so maybe if I was switched to an African or something else then maybe I would notice a difference?

eldub

Mar 28, 2012
Visit site
Which beans are you roasting? What roaster? Some beans look different than others after being roasted. The level of roast also affects the appearance.

If your final product tastes good and most/all of the beans have a uniform appearance after being roasted, that's about all you can ask for, imo.

PinkRose

Super Moderator
Staff member
Feb 28, 2008
Near Philadelphia, PA
Visit site
When you compare the end result of your roasted beans with what other people roast, it's better if you can compare the same kind of beans.

Did you ask the other people what coffee beans they roasted? If you're roasting something different, you won't get the same "look" that they do.

If you're happy with the taste, that's really all that matters.

Rose

CoffeeJunky

Dec 7, 2012
Michigan, US
Visit site
I agree with both Eldub and Rose. It really depends on the bean you roast. There are slight differences in looks from one origin to another. If you roast Ethiopian beans, they are generally little smaller and little more bean look. And if you roast South American beans, they are more typical coffee bean look. It all depends on the beans. Also like Eldub said, level of roast make huge differences. Do you roast them dark or medium or light?

But as long as you like the end product, unless you are trying to sell, I really don't think it matters.

sae

Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for the comments. I do sell my beans. I generally roast pretty light. I'm thinking I should be Looking at a quicker profile to maximize bean expansion.

eldub

Mar 28, 2012
Visit site
I'm not sure that's correct. A quicker roast will possibly result in a bean that's not sufficiently roasted in the center, especially if using a hard bean.

Not sure why you are hung up on expansion. Some beans are naturally bigger than others. I can't see how speeding up the process will result in a larger bean.

sae

Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
If you look at the two extremes: very fast and very slow, with very fast you won't evenly develop the bean and with very slow you won't get bean expansion and you could fully bake a bean without getting first or second crack. So obviously in the middle somewhere you're going to get the best roast.

eldub

Mar 28, 2012
Visit site
If I roast a batch quickly or slowly, I'm still reaching the desired end temperature. If your not reaching first crack, you are under roasting your beans, no matter how quickly or slowly you go.

Some beans are naturally smaller than others. Some are larger. SOme leave a line of silver skin when optimally roasted. Some don't.

When you talk to Dan about roasting particulars on your new unit, he'll tell you the optimum roasting time on it is 15 minutes. They roast most of their beans to 420*. I'm currently roasting ours from 425-465*. But my roasts still take between 14-16 minutes, usually.

What method/unit are you roasting with at present? Which beans are you using?

eldub

Mar 28, 2012
Visit site
Btw..... Generally, I raise the bean temps a degree every two to three seconds until the beans reach 300* Then I attempt to stabilize the process to raising a degree every three seconds or so until around first crack. At that point, I usually want to slow the roasting process down to raising a degree every four to six seconds until final temp is reached.