Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    sae

How do you sell your coffee

I wasn't sure if I should post this in the roasting section or one of the other sections...

Up to now I've been selling my coffee primarily whole bean (maybe 1% is ground) either in 1, 5 or 15lb bags. I'm looking to expanding my business and while I'd love to do it by selling bulk whole bean it seems like if I want growth I might have to get into supplying restaurants. This means that generally I'd have to provide equipment and coffee in portion packs. It seems like I'd have to invest quite a bit of money into a portioning and bag sealing machine to get into that business as well as put up quite a bit of cash up front to buy brewing equipment. Now my question, how do you sell your beans?

We sell whole beans (wholesale) to restaurants, coffee shops and upscale/organic markets. We sell whole beans retail through an online food coop, through our website and to walk in customers.

sae
    To the restaurants that you sell whole bean, do they have their own grinders and brewers? I find most around this area are using portion packs.

Those using portion packs aren't in the same league as the restaurants we target.

sae
    That's really cool that you have restaurants that care enough!

Many upscale restaurants have espresso machines.

Btw, a restaurant that invests in a commercial grinder stands to save a bunch of money in the long run by not purchasing portion packs and will be serving better coffee as well.

sae
    I agree that the ROI makes sense for a restaurant to purchase their own brewing and grinding equipment, however it's a cash flow issue for most.

Hey SAE,

I'm with a company that helps retailers discover coffee roasters. Coffee roasters can share their story and input the different package sizes that they would like to sell. If your looking to expand your business you can check us out and see if we can help provide the value your looking for

thefingo.com

Seth (at) thefingo.com
    Advertising Signature Removed by Moderator

In my past experience, few years ago most of the restaurants could careless about their coffee. Most of the people did not really care about the quality of their coffee being served at the restaurants. But now days, people demand better coffee or better food from the even at the mid scale restaurant. Not just high end. But still there are plenty of restaurants still do not really care to spend money on the equipment or their quality. I know of one restaurant i have been targeting for past few months. They buy about 15-25 pounds of coffee per day. They purchase pre-ground coffee and individually packed but the owner do not want to change the way they do coffee or anything.

So I concluded most of the owners are either scared to change or don't want to be bother by it. I offered free coffee grinder and coffee machine to carry my coffee but he is still thinking.....

what type of coffee is he buying?
    Advertising Signature Removed by Moderator

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links