adding additional thermocouples to a diedrich. placement advice needed.

trueandbrave

Feb 12, 2013
Visit site
photo2.jpg
hi, was thinking of adding some additional thermocouples to my ir-3. i didn't want to just splice into the existing thermocouple for fear of losing any signal and reducing accuracy. also i've noticed the newer diedrichs seem to all have thermo couples in the front. with that said, i was thinking the BT could go in through the lower bolt circled in red and et could go in through the upper bolt circled in red. doing a small test to make sure the sensors wouldn't be hit by vanes, it looks like it's about a good 1.5" in before any contact is made. i guess if i wanted to, i could just drill in and do a proper install, but that seems very permanent and would not want to make a mistake on that!.
if only northern roaster from china could help me!!

if thermocouples through existing bolt holes is acceptable, is there a particular method of securing them and completely plugging the holes to avoid heat escape?

thanks all

Attachments

• photo.JPG
    photo.JPG
    270.6 KB · Views: 545

trueandbrave

Feb 12, 2013
Visit site
I don't know, you think even adding additional sensors is necessary? I've been datalogging on other smaller roasters and would like to do so on this guy. I've seen the appliedcoffeetechnology video explaining how to use his typica software, and I suppose I could just splice into the existing thermocouple lead from the internal display on the ir-3, but I'm not thrilled with the location in the back and would also like to have ET measured just as a way to ensure consistent logs. Also, not a huge fan of the $600 NLI adapter that typica uses, so may go with artisan software and use a center 304. so many choices.

trueandbrave

Feb 12, 2013
Visit site
Well, decided to go with a device that supports modbus so that I can switch software if needed. modbus devices are supported by typica and artisan, which are my 2 frontrunners right now. Also going to stick with the standard diedrich thermocouple and location. Guess with the IR burners, don't really need to log ET, and according to Neal, he says the rate of change logging will be much more useful information to visualize, and I'm inclined to agree.