Do Any American Roasters Ship Large Quantities of their Coffee to CANADA?

gmarch23

Jan 9, 2013
Visit site
Hey Guys,

I was hoping someone could help me out. I was wondering if any American roasters ship large amounts of coffee (100+pound shipments) to Canada?
From what I understand there are not any duties on shipments of coffee between Canada and the US. Are their any other requirements I should be aware of?

expat

May 1, 2012
Ireland
Visit site
U.S. Customs should be able to give you all the information you need and under the NAFTA treaty I think you are correct, there should be no taxes or duties on coffee crossing the border either way. Also since coffee is a food it (usually) isn't taxed so that cuts down on the likelihood of there being border crossing problems. But talk to Customs as laws are constantly changing. Try to get what they tell you in writing or at least the reference to the appropriate rules and regs so that if you do get stopped by an officer who doesn't know the law, and there are plenty of them, you'll have the references to point to and will be showing that you've done your homework.

PinkRose

Super Moderator
Staff member
Feb 28, 2008
Near Philadelphia, PA
Visit site
But talk to Customs as laws are constantly changing. Try to get what they tell you in writing or at least the reference to the appropriate rules and regs so that if you do get stopped by an officer who doesn't know the law, and there are plenty of them, you'll have the references to point to and will be showing that you've done your homework.

I certainly agree with expat..... Get it in writing and make copies so you'll have spares. There are many officers who don't know the law, and having proof that you've done the research will save you a lot of time and trouble.

Rose

CanadianBrian

Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
You could also just make a quick call to a customs broker. They will be able to tell you what is required and any taxes that are due if any.
Brian