Time vs Temp

Bardo

May 13, 2013
Port Republic, MD
Visit site
I have a quandary. I am currently roasting my beans on my grill, in a covered pan with a stirring mechanism. If I roast the beans on the grill itself, it takes 20+ minutes to reach the first crack, and maybe more depending on the weather etc. If I use the same pan on the gas burner next to the grill, I get there in about 10 minutes. Is there a difference in the taste/quality of the two roasts? I did one of each this weekend to see if I can tell an obvious difference but didn't note any based simply on the look and smell of the roast. Thanks for your guidance.

eldub

Mar 28, 2012
Visit site
You need to go by taste, IMO.

20 minutes to first crack would be more like baking the beans instead of roasting them. But the taste should tell you all you need to know.

namballe

Aug 24, 2012
Lima, Peru
Visit site
so, in other words, you are asking if a shorter roast time (higher heat) has anything to do with the taste of you coffee. 20+ min is a long roasting time to what i'm used to. the 10 min. using the burner method seems more typical. i would lean more towards the shorter time roast, as it probably holds more of the flavor of the bean, but there are sooo many techniques to coffee roasting. have you looked into the bbq roasting drums that are available. i have heard good reviews about them :)

Bardo

May 13, 2013
Port Republic, MD
Visit site
I am looking at the BBQ roasting drums as a next step in my roasting education. Any other options that you see for home roasting before spending the money on a larger roaster?

namballe

Aug 24, 2012
Lima, Peru
Visit site
I am looking at the BBQ roasting drums as a next step in my roasting education. Any other options that you see for home roasting before spending the money on a larger roaster?
it depends on how much you will be roasting. bbq type drums give very good consistency as compared to pan roasting. they have drums that can roast up to 10 lbs. at a time, and take around 10-15 min per roast. they come in aluminium and stainless steel. with that set up, you will need to get a rotisserie and motor. this will be by far, the cheapest method:grin:

Bardo

May 13, 2013
Port Republic, MD
Visit site
I did a cupping tonight of both the 10 and 20 minute roasts of the same Guatemala bean. With some subtle differences, probably lost on my uneducated palate, I thought the 10 was as satisfying as the 20.

namballe

Aug 24, 2012
Lima, Peru
Visit site
well, after drinking fresh roasted coffee, youre palate is becoming used to good coffee lol! when i went back to store bought coffee, WOW! what a difference.
if the 10 is as good as the 20, why waste time and gas?

Bardo

May 13, 2013
Port Republic, MD
Visit site
Agreed. I am looking at a drum roasting BBQ based system on Ebay. It looks well designed and constructed, but I have to go to MI to pick it up! As it happens, I am driving by there in June on my way to Chicago. Maybe...

Bardo

May 13, 2013
Port Republic, MD
Visit site

CoffeeJunky

Dec 7, 2012
Michigan, US
Visit site
Home roasting is my love and YES times DO MATTER. First, 10 is not bad for first crack. 20 mins is way too long. Normally, your full roasting should be done in 14-17 mins. Which means your grill is not hot enough to roast your beans. I have made my own Grill Roaster and i get the best result in about 14-15 mins for medium roast. I have played with many different time settings from quick roast(6-7mins) to long roast(28-25mins) and there are tons of differences in taste.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ZbYja5ph2w&list=PLDF4CE37901000FCF

This guy uses colanders to make his own drum roaster.
I love his set up. Its cheap to make them.

Bardo

May 13, 2013
Port Republic, MD
Visit site
Yes, I don't want the coffee to taste like chicken! The set-up I am looking at will have a new grill with it, or I will get one separately. CF, thanks for your input on times. I did notice a difference, especially as the coffee cooled. Ideally I would take it between the two, but I don't have good control over my burner at the low end. I think I will reduce the gas supply and see if I can control it better that way.