First to second crack

Bardo

May 13, 2013
Port Republic, MD
Visit site
I a roasting my beans on a burner outside, using a "Swirly Girl" style pan. I have had trouble controlling my temperatures and times due to the minimal controls on the gas burner. I have developed a profile that helps me to get to first crack in about ten minutes and to a city roast in about thirteen minutes. Problem is, I can tell clearly when the first crack comes. But I can't get a clear idea of whent he second crack begins, because I think they are blending together. If I wait for a clear second crack sound, my roast is too dark. So I am stopping at what appears to be the end of the first crack. Is my temperature still too high?

eldub

Mar 28, 2012
Visit site
Sounds like it to me. You should consider turning the heat down at the start of first crack to lengthen the time to the end of the roast.

eldub

Mar 28, 2012
Visit site
For lighter roasts, try turning down the heat just before first crack to gain more control of the process down the stretch.

Bardo

May 13, 2013
Port Republic, MD
Visit site
I currently start the roase on the grill itself, which does not provide enough BTU to get the beans to the first crack. After about 8-9 minutes, I go to the open flame burner, which takes them to the first crack in about 2 minutes, but then blazes through to the second with no delay. So I have to pull them by about 12-13 minutes with no clear space between first and second crack. Based on your inputs, I will go back to the grill at the start of the first crack, to lengthen that process. Maybe keep it there and listen for activity. IF the beans are not too dark after the first crack is complete, then I can put them back on the higher heat for a bit until they reach the desired color. Quite a dance, but its the best I can do until I get the better roaster. I am looking at a drum/BBQ roaster with a ten pound drum. Do you think I can do a good and consistent enough job with one of those to create a salable product? I know the quality of the roast is the determining factor and that will only come with practice. Thanks for your input!

eldub

Mar 28, 2012
Visit site
I'm guessing you won' need to go to the open flame the second time in order to finish the roast. The. beans start generating their own heat and the grill should be enough to finish the process at a controllable pace, IMO.

namballe

Aug 24, 2012
Lima, Peru
Visit site
I am looking at a drum/BBQ roaster with a ten pound drum. Do you think I can do a good and consistent enough job with one of those to create a salable product? I know the quality of the roast is the determining factor and that will only come with practice. Thanks for your input!

you will get a much more consistent roast with the drum method. make sure you have enough btu's in your grill to be able to do a good roast. also, you will need to cool the beans quickly, so find yourself a way to do that too. P.S. I wouldnt recommend doing 10 lbs as your first attempt. try 1 lb. or so for starters and take plenty of notes, then you can let other people try it and let them tell you if its saleable :)

Last edited:

CoffeeJunky

Dec 7, 2012
Michigan, US
Visit site
This is very easy to explain and how to fix it.
As a home roaster, we really need to carefully select the heating source. First, its better to have electric cook top you can buy for around 15 dollars from Walmart that has heat control. Or if you want to use your grill, maybe its better to get a small drum unit and roast directly from the flame.
But if you still insisting on using your heating units, I would make sure you have thermometer and control the heat. by put the pan on and off the hot heating source to control the temperature. I don’t know if it is necessary for you to pre-roast before you hit the hot flame. I would put the pan on hot flame and control the temperature by putting on and off . Just don’t let it get too hot and speed up the roasting process.
I think first crack should happen around 10-13 mins and SC at 15-17 mins That will give you enough time to control your roast.

Good Luck

Bardo

May 13, 2013
Port Republic, MD
Visit site
I figured to buy the 10 lb roasting drum so that I could grow into it, rather than buying a new one after a short time. What do you think the minimum size roast in a 10 lb drum would be?

CoffeeJunky

Dec 7, 2012
Michigan, US
Visit site
YOu will never roast 10 pounds at a time unless you are planning on selling roasted beans or you have huge family to feed.lol I am using 5 pound drum roaster on my bbq grill. I normally roast around 3 pounds of beans at a time and it comes out perfect everytime. I love my roaster... lol... With my roaster, I can roast about 10 pounds an hour. I can roast up to about 50 pounds a day. That is the most I have ever roasted in a day.