Degassing Process

eldub

Mar 28, 2012
Visit site
We poke each bean, individually, with a sharp needle.

But seriously, our beans go in food grade buckets with liners and lids that sit loosely on top for a few days and then they can be sealed up. Our bags are biodegradable kraft paper that doesn't really need a valve so we can put in bags any time after roasting.

The flavor of most of our offerings seem pretty stable a few days post roast. I don't see degassing as such a big deal.

namballe

Aug 24, 2012
Lima, Peru
Visit site

But seriously, our beans go in food grade buckets with liners and lids that sit loosely on top for a few days and then they can be sealed up. Our bags are biodegradable kraft paper that doesn't really need a valve so we can put in bags any time after roasting.

The flavor of most of our offerings seem pretty stable a few days post roast. I don't see degassing as such a big deal.
ah, the degassing myth exposed! Thank you Eldub. much appreciated! I think I will also go with the food grade buckets as you do.

LBBeans

Apr 17, 2012
BC, Canada
Visit site

This pretty much describes what we do.

Here's an link to someone else's take on it

Why I stopped packaging our coffee in one-way valves | agoodkeensavage

PinkRose

Super Moderator
Staff member
Feb 28, 2008
Near Philadelphia, PA
Visit site
This pretty much describes what we do.

Here's an link to someone else's take on it

Why I stopped packaging our coffee in one-way valves | agoodkeensavage

It's interesting to read the article and then read the comments below it. It's obvious that people have different views about the one-way valves.

At work, we have our roasted beans delivered in 5 pound bags with one-way valves. Somehow, they manage to get 5 bags wedged tightly and evenly into a big box. Some of the bags are totally "tight" and some are slightly puffy. I'm guessing that they squish the air out of a couple of the bags through the valves before putting them in the box. One day, I caught the morning guy poking holes in the puffy bags to make them fit on the shelf better. He didn't understand the CO2/valve concept, and he didn't see how it made a difference. Geez....

Rose

CoffeeJunky

Dec 7, 2012
Michigan, US
Visit site
That is funny. And I actually had my bag blew up on me. When I was just starting to roast my own beans, I didn't know much about degassing process and I ended up putting roasted bean in air tight bag for my friend night before. When I woke up in the morning, I saw beans were everywhere in my kitchen. I thought someone came into my kitchen and made the mess. As I was cleaning the kitchen, I saw the bag that I put the beans in, and I realized what it happened. Since , I have been using pasta bucket to degass my bean before I put them in the air tight container.

namballe

Aug 24, 2012
Lima, Peru
Visit site
I kinda like the bags with the de-gassing valve due to the fact that it gives cutomers a chance to "squeeze" a noseful of aroma out of the bag and give them an idea of whats inside.

eldub

Mar 28, 2012
Visit site
Our customers can smell our beans through the Kraft paper bags w/o degassing valves. We recommend that the beans be placed in an air tight container after purchase.

NHcoffee

Jan 3, 2013
New Hampshire
Visit site
Funny Rose

I had a competitor some 15 years ago that tried making 1.75 oz fractional packs by hand in pre-made bags to compete with our VFFS fractional. They did not understand about gassing ground coffee and were pin-pricking every bag much the way your employee did.

Gassing is even more important with ground coffees going into small packaging. Our beans sit in 175# barrels 1 day before we grind and then a 20 hour gas time prior to our VFFS to be sure we do not blow open the back seals.

maxpower

Sep 29, 2012
Visit site
I roasted my first batch of green beans over the weekend. :)

Here was my experience as far as out gassing is concerned...

First a comment: For those valves to work to expel the internal gas to the outside, the pressure on the inside of the bag has to be greater than the outside.

OK. Since I do not have bags with valves, I placed my just freshly roasted (and cooled by forced air) beans in a Ball jar and vacuum sealed it. I assumed that after several hours, the vacuum would be gone since newly roasted beans are supposed to out gas.

Because this was my first time, I checked the jar a few hours after the roast and it was still holding a strong vacuum. I opened the jar anyway just to check on the beans. I told you this was my first roast :)

I re-vacuum sealed it and let it sit overnight. The next morning, it was still holding a good vacuum. These beans did not out gas much (if at all), in the sense that the volume of gas in the jar did not increase to break the vacuum.

Maybe I am missing something?