Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Degassing Process

like to know what degassing process/method some of you use after roasting your coffee. I may be doing something wrong

We poke each bean, individually, with a sharp needle.

But seriously, our beans go in food grade buckets with liners and lids that sit loosely on top for a few days and then they can be sealed up. Our bags are biodegradable kraft paper that doesn't really need a valve so we can put in bags any time after roasting.

The flavor of most of our offerings seem pretty stable a few days post roast. I don't see degassing as such a big deal.

Quote Originally Posted by eldub View Post

But seriously, our beans go in food grade buckets with liners and lids that sit loosely on top for a few days and then they can be sealed up. Our bags are biodegradable kraft paper that doesn't really need a valve so we can put in bags any time after roasting.

The flavor of most of our offerings seem pretty stable a few days post roast. I don't see degassing as such a big deal.
    ah, the degassing myth exposed! Thank you Eldub. much appreciated! I think I will also go with the food grade buckets as you do.

Quote Originally Posted by eldub View Post

This pretty much describes what we do.

Here's an link to someone else's take on it

Why I stopped packaging our coffee in one-way valves | agoodkeensavage

Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by LBBeans View Post
    This pretty much describes what we do.

Here's an link to someone else's take on it

Why I stopped packaging our coffee in one-way valves | agoodkeensavage
    It's interesting to read the article and then read the comments below it. It's obvious that people have different views about the one-way valves.

At work, we have our roasted beans delivered in 5 pound bags with one-way valves. Somehow, they manage to get 5 bags wedged tightly and evenly into a big box. Some of the bags are totally "tight" and some are slightly puffy. I'm guessing that they squish the air out of a couple of the bags through the valves before putting them in the box. One day, I caught the morning guy poking holes in the puffy bags to make them fit on the shelf better. He didn't understand the CO2/valve concept, and he didn't see how it made a difference. Geez....

Rose

That is funny. And I actually had my bag blew up on me. When I was just starting to roast my own beans, I didn't know much about degassing process and I ended up putting roasted bean in air tight bag for my friend night before. When I woke up in the morning, I saw beans were everywhere in my kitchen. I thought someone came into my kitchen and made the mess. As I was cleaning the kitchen, I saw the bag that I put the beans in, and I realized what it happened. Since , I have been using pasta bucket to degass my bean before I put them in the air tight container.

I have been using zip-lock bags for our beans at home, and I just leave the last inch open for a day or two and then seal it up.

I kinda like the bags with the de-gassing valve due to the fact that it gives cutomers a chance to "squeeze" a noseful of aroma out of the bag and give them an idea of whats inside.

Our customers can smell our beans through the Kraft paper bags w/o degassing valves. We recommend that the beans be placed in an air tight container after purchase.

I now give my beans in brown bag to my friends. Never air tight bags.. lol..
    But I do ask them to put the beans in air tight jar after few days.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links