Input needed on bag label

namballe

Aug 24, 2012
Lima, Peru
Visit site
I have been working on designing a label to fit my product, and finally decided on this one. The coffee will be sold in Lima, Peru, therefore, the name is in spanish. any and all input would be greatly appreciated :)

Attachments

• cafe mistico2.jpg
    cafe mistico2.jpg
    80.4 KB · Views: 672
Last edited:

PinkRose

Super Moderator
Staff member
Feb 28, 2008
Near Philadelphia, PA
Visit site
Hi 'namballe"

Did you design the label yourself, or did you hire someone to do it? Is there a way to add some more coffee beans inside the opening of the bag that's tipped over? Unless it's what you intended, right now, it looks like it's an almost empty bag that's on it's side.

Rose

namballe

Aug 24, 2012
Lima, Peru
Visit site
Hi 'namballe"

Did you design the label yourself, or did you hire someone to do it? Is there a way to add some more coffee beans inside the opening of the bag that's tipped over? Unless it's what you intended, right now, it looks like it's an almost empty bag that's on it's side.

Rose

yes, I didnt notice it until you pointed that out. I will see if I can add more beans to make it look more full

expat

May 1, 2012
Ireland
Visit site
The Lovely & Talented Roast Mistress thinks the label is 'beautiful' to quote her. No more beans necessary -- sorry Pink Rose -- beauty is in the eye of the beholder I guess. :coffee:

If you're just selling the coffee in your own store no need for more info as you can tell the people what the coffee is but if you're selling bags of coffee through retailers then, based on my experience doing the same, I'd recommend the name of the coffee -- like Kenya, Ethiopia, XX blend, etc., so people will know what they are buying. Actually we have whimsical names for our coffee. Like Buzz Bomb, Loco Leghorn, Barnyard Boogie (we're Red Rooster Coffee, thus the farm theme). And then we have one line of text underneath that saying what the coffee is, Double Roasted Colombian in the case of Loco Leghorn; or what it will do, The You'll Never Sleep Again Blend! in the case of Buzz Bomb.

Possibly the strength. That's big here in Ireland, people want to know how strong the coffee is on a 1 to about 5 scale (I've never seen a 1 by the way). Our coffees are 3, 4, 5. And then someone might want to know the weight, which I still need to put on the front of our label. We have it on the back and I assume people looking at the bag assume it is 227g to 250g, like all the other competing bags around it. For us adding the strength may be too much, too cluttered. I think our label is fairly crisp and clean looking right now.

Finally is the coffee ground or whole bean? For ground we don't do anything and for whole bean we have a whole bean logo we put on the front. Here in Ireland whole bean coffee is a specialty item so everyone knows the coffee is ground unless it says otherwise.

In someone else's store the bag's label does all the selling for you so you need to give people all the pertinent information they are looking for -- what is it, how much is it, how's it going to taste (strength) in one, quick, 2 second glance. That's about all the time you have. I guess you could ask yourself what would be the most important things the customers in your area would want to know about the coffee.

If you've got several coffees then color code the coffee (see below). That way when mom sends her eight year old in to buy a bag of coffee for her she can just say 'get the purple one' or 'get the black one'.

We have a back label with lots more details like brewing instructions (because in Ireland, a Johnny-Come-Lately country to coffee people need to know that). We have a bit more info about the coffee, and all of our contact information which is a labeling requirement here.

I'm sure there is more but the only other comment I've got, if you're retailing through other stores, is Shelf Space -- fight hard for shelf space about 4 to 5 feet off the ground. This is crucial! Where we are at that height we sell a lot more coffee than we do when we're higher up or lower down.

I'm sure there is a lot more to know from someone who has been trained in the art and science of labelling but that's what we've learned thru trial and error and listening to customer and store manager suggestions.

BarnyardBoogie.jpgBuzzBombWB.jpg

namballe

Aug 24, 2012
Lima, Peru
Visit site
Expat,
thank you for the kind words on the artwork. I may be overdoing it though , as my main target would be high-end hotels, restaurants and cafes in the Lima, Peru metro area. In a country were coffee is produced, there is roughly 80%+ that are tea drinkers. I would be catering to the other +- 20% of mostly tourists and foreigners, and the few who drink coffee occasionally. I do not have a store, and dont plan on having a store in the future.
P.S. I really like your moto "Made by a family, not a factory" :smile:

Last edited: