I would like to learn more about roasting.

smksignals

May 10, 2013
So Cal
Visit site
Hello Everyone.

I have always been a coffee lover and have owned numerous coffee items over the past 30 years of drinking coffee. It wasn't until this year that I started roasting my own coffee. Started with an air popper, moved up to the Stir Crazy / Turbo Oven, and now I own a Behmor 1600. Well now the fascination has turned into an obsession. I just love everything about roasting coffee.

I would like to know if anyone in Southern California with a roasting biz would let me hang out and learn more about roasting. I know there are boot camps and schools out there, but right now this is a hobby. I'm not able to spend hundreds or thousands of dollars on this obsession quite yet.

I currently have a M-F 8-5 job so I would like to come by during the evening or weekends to learn more and even help out around the shop. I am in Orange County.

If anyone would be interested in helping a newbie out, please PM the details. I look forward to it !

Thanks,

- Kurt T.

CoffeeJunky

Dec 7, 2012
Michigan, US
Visit site
Kurt,

I am glad you are getting into roasting side of coffee. But it will be very difficult for the roaster to let you in to their facility.
1. Liability issues
2. You will be their burden
3. They got work to do

Good luck finding someone but I would think that would be very difficult thing you are asking....

PinkRose

Super Moderator
Staff member
Feb 28, 2008
Near Philadelphia, PA
Visit site
Kurt,

Even though your idea is out of the ordinary, you still may eventually find someone who needs help on weekends.

Do you have any local roasters where you are, where you can go visit and start an intelligent conversation, and then wheedle your way into getting them to invite you to stop by more often? That way you may get your foot in the door and maybe it will lead to a part time job on nights or weekends.

If a local roaster sets up shop at a Farmer's Market, or other vendor location, they've already done their roasting, and they're there selling their beans. That's a good time to strike up a conversation. Show up a few times and see what happens. (but don't over-do it and look like a stalker)

Since you have some roasting experience and you have a geniune interest in roasting, you'd have a better chance of sparking someone's interest of you approach it as a possible job rather than an opportunity to "hang out" and ask questions. Busy people don't hang out, and they don't encourage other people to hang out and be a drain on their time. Make yourself available to contribute and help. Accept minumum wage rather than offer yourself for free.

You may need to do some exploring, and it may take time, but there's always hope.

Best wishes.
Rose

smksignals

May 10, 2013
So Cal
Visit site
Thanks for the responses so far. Great points and suggestions. I know it's kind of a goofy request but I thought 'Ehh, what the heck'.

Another thought I had was hosting some sort of meet up. I live in a association and could rent out the club house. Might be a great way to get roasters together, amateur and professional, and learn some stuff.

I've also thought about finding some local roasters and stopping by and say hi, and definitely not in a 'stalker' kinda way. :mrgreen:

Thanks again for your thoughts...

Redswing

May 30, 2013
Northern California
Visit site
hey kurt,
as a fellow newbie thinking about the bigger world of coffee roasting, i can say i relate to what you're saying. imo, coffee roasters in general are more than happy to share their story and the journey that got them where they are. (check out this forum!) another theme i've noticed in the specialty coffee roasting community...each and every one has been fairly confident that they do it the best way, roast the best beans, run the best business. my suggestion is to go buy some green beans from any local roaster who will sell them to you, and then ask a few questions. after all, who doesn't like talking about themselves?