Cooler sweep: brush vs. blades

LBBeans

Apr 17, 2012
BC, Canada
Visit site
I want to replace my sweeper blade with a brush. The blade is crushing beans which isn't a good thing, so I raised it up and now sweeping out the cooling tray is a PITA. If my cooling tray was nice and flat I wouldn't have a problem but it seems a bit warped. So the blade is high in some sections and bottoms out on others.

Does anyone have a source for buying parts to make a brush? I have an Ambex15 which is an unsupported machine. What are your thoughts on brushes vs. blades? I want to get the right brush so it doesn't fall apart and leave bristles behind. Thanks.

expat

May 1, 2012
Ireland
Visit site
LBBeans, great question -- especially since I have the same one :decaf:. I've got the same uneven cooling tray and blade sweeper problems. I've tried different rubber -- some stiffer, some more flexible but there is always a problem. Recently I got some rubber that was working great but the heat of the beans after a few roasts curled it up so that it now doesn't contact the cooling tray. So I'll keep an eye on this space.

CoffeeJunky

Dec 7, 2012
Michigan, US
Visit site
I think you need to fabricate it by local shop. It might cost few dollars but it might be worth the try. The brush sounds great but what would you make the brush out of? If it is metal brush(i would think that is the only option) wouldn't you have similar problem because of the uneven cool tray? maybe you should try to make the cooling tray?