Charging for your time as a consultant

ATCoffee

Mar 28, 2013
Europe
Visit site
Hi there. I'm relatively new to the forum and this is my first ever post :)
I am a roaster and I run my own microroaster in Scandinavia. I've just stumbled upon a new issue (good one though). I have been asked to hold a cupping as part of an event. Only thing is I'm unsure how to charge for this. Obviously there is some preparation involved in a cupping and then the session itself which I'm thinking would take approx 1,5-2hrs (that's all I have anyway :)). Has anyone quoted something similar before, in that case how did you think when pricing it?
I have to get back with a quote ASAP so quick responses are much appreciated. Thanks heaps!!

eldub

Mar 28, 2012
Visit site
Ask the event organizers what they are willing to pay for your services. You could also charge a fixed price per person attending/participating.

On the other hand, I've done a few coffee educational classes for free and have seen some regular business come my way because of the exposure.

ATCoffee

Mar 28, 2013
Europe
Visit site
Thanks for your quick replies. I hadn't even thought of asking for promotion of my brand so thanks for pointing that out to me. Might have to rethink now.
Other than that, do you have an hourly rate that you think is fair for consulting work?

CoffeeJunky

Dec 7, 2012
Michigan, US
Visit site
If plumber and electrician can charge 75-150 per hour, why not ask for same if you need to charge them. But we are in the business where we need to promote our product and positive image is number one thing. With that in mind, I don't know if it will be wise to actually charge them but let them know what it would have been if you did charge them. Ask for them for help advertizing your business for your time would be wiser choice. I think.

Good Luck

PinkRose

Super Moderator
Staff member
Feb 28, 2008
Near Philadelphia, PA
Visit site
Are they supplying all of the items that you'll be using for the cupping demonstration? You certainly need to charge them for those things if you provide them. The cost of your travel expenses is a consideration too (mileage).

Will you also be attending the event for free, since you'll be participating?

You said the cupping should take approx. 2 hours . . . but I bet you'll be doing a lot of prep work on your own time.

If you don't charge them, they'll look at you as an volunteer (and you'll feel like one too).

You said they approached you, which means they're willing to pay something, especially if they asked you for a quote for your services.

Calculate how much the materials are going to cost you. Then add in something for travel (mileage). Then add fee for professional services - $100 an hour (no less than $50).

If they're supplying the materials for the cupping, then just go with a flat $100 and bring in some business cards, advertising materials, coupons, maybe some small samples of your roasted coffee to give out to the participants. They'll love you for that!

Rose

eldub

Mar 28, 2012
Visit site
I was guessing that the cupping would be at his roasting facility. That's really the only place I'd be comfortable holding a gathering like that.

CoffeeJunky

Dec 7, 2012
Michigan, US
Visit site
well, i think you can host the cupping different place. It would be much easier to have it at your location since you have everything there but it is doable and 100 dollars per hour is not out of the line.

Have fun

PinkRose

Super Moderator
Staff member
Feb 28, 2008
Near Philadelphia, PA
Visit site
I pictured an event, such as a culinary event, in a big conference hall where people do various demonstrations, give out samples, etc. It will be interesting to learn where the cupping will actually take place.

Rose

John P

Jan 5, 2007
Salt Lake City
Visit site
$100-$125 an hour is about right.

For the future, if it's for a larger project I'd do $500 per day, 2 day minimum, and all travel associated expenses.

Make sure they know your rates before you start, you don't want any surprises!