Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Super Moderator

Cold brew concentrate

I am wondering if anyone knows of a company that can produce large quantities of coffee concentrate. I have searched and searched and can not find anyone who can do mass quantities. Thanks in advance!
    "Wine is for aging, not coffee."
    Ken Hutchinson, Starsky and Hutch

Maybe get ahold of the folks at Toddy and see if they have any leads.

Super Moderator
    I called them. First lady told me the largest toddy maker they have makes 2.5 gallons per 24 hours. I need multiple 44 gallon drums. The second time I spoke with them I spoke to a gentleman that said he would call me back with a company that does this...2 weeks no return call.

I thought there was a member who tried to sell that on the forum. I think few months ago.

Super Moderator
    After contacting about 6 companies that supposedly do this...one actually called me back! I am super stoked! Start testing next week.

Hello Topher ;
    I am looking forward to your future posts on this. I am curious how they handle packaging and how they handle shelf life. Keep us informed.
    Brian

Thank God I don't need that much cold brew... Lol... I don't know if I would trust anything that is not really made by me. However, if you need to get that much at a time, I guess we do not have much of choice. Or have Toddy lab with 50 brewers. lol.

Super Moderator
    50 brewers...can you imagine the mess?? Brian..I will keep y'all posted..this is going to be a long process.

My company, N to 1 in Oakland, CA does do this.
    I will send you a PM with contact information.
    For those who are interested, a little educational information on the topic follows. I apologize for the inherent self-promotion.

In order to produce much larger quantities, you need specialized equipment. Employing massive numbers of Toddy's is inexpensive, but clearly doesn't scale. Designing our own equipment allows us to modify the process to produce a better product. For example, much of our brewing happens under a nitrogen atmosphere in order to minimize the dissolved oxygen. Keeping oxygen out of the end product improves the shelf life, and shelf life is a big issue.

Although we can easily produce cold brew, our process is specifically designed for hot brewing. The choice is up to you, and depends on the taste profile that you prefer. We find that by hot brewing we can capture the much wider range of tastes available in quality beans. Cold brewing extracts mostly the "bass notes", and most cold brews that you taste have a similar profile. Choosing the beans, the roast profile, and a better brewing temperature allow you to get the most out of your product. We sell at retail a bottled iced coffee which has a very different taste than others on the market, characterized as fruit-forward and light, while retaining the typical cold-brew qualities such as smoothness and lack of bitterness.

Another consideration is the TDS (total dissolved solids) of the concentrate you purchase. Most Toddy-like systems will yield a product in the 2.0-2.5% range. There is nothing wrong with that, and it may be diluted down to a lower range for iced coffee. But if you want to use it in, for example, an iced latte, you can provide a richer end product by using concentrate with less water in it. Our process yields concentrate at 9% TDS. We can mix it with milk for a delicious iced latte, or dilute 4:1 with water for iced coffee at 1.8% TDS. Note that the concentration of the coffee is higher than the typical 1.3% TDS that you might brew in your cafe. This is possible because of the (hot or cold) brewing process which minimizes bitterness. One can set the final concentration to taste, providing a product that has more intense coffee flavor and also more caffeine while remaining smooth like most cold brews.

Hello ccooper;
    Just curious as to what shelf life does your concentrate usually get? Any difference between hot and cold brew? How about doing a small amount of hot water to get some of the oils going and then adding the cold water ?
    Thanks
    Brian

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links