How do you package bags?

sae

Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
We currently don't do a huge volume of 1 lb and 2 lb bags but I can see this market expanding and we'll need a quicker and more efficient way of weighing and bagging them. Currently we fill them one by one after weighing out the amount. How do you do it?

expat

May 1, 2012
Ireland
Visit site
I think all us small guys do it the same. Portioning and packaging machinery is way too expensive for a start-up.

We grind. Then on the scale we have our Rattleware scoop which we pour the ground coffee into. Once we've got the right weight of coffee in the scoop we pour that into the coffee bag and once we've got all of our bags done, run them through the heat sealer.

Since we're in lots of retail stores we didn't want to go with the bendable 'tang' seal because people do open your bags or they get dropped on the store floor and can spill. The heat seal prevents that. Of course if you're selling straight out of your shop and have 'eye-sight control' over what's happening with your coffee then the bendable tang seal is great.

sae

Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
that scoop looks sweet. Thanks for sharing!

Two more questions:

1.- I'm thinking I want to explore the option of getting a weighing system so I can get an idea of prices to put it into the budget. Has any body researched this an know where to start?
2.- How many of you are doing pre-ground? And if you are how do you control static?

topher

Super Moderator
Staff member
Aug 14, 2003
Boca Raton
Visit site
MP-5 I have one of these. Whole bean or ground..never had an issue with static. I think they run somewhere between $6500 to $7500. I picked up a table top band sealer for $2500. I am going to buy a duplicate set in the near future so I can have 2 people bagging at once.
If you have any other specific questions let me know.

expat

May 1, 2012
Ireland
Visit site
The Rattleware scoop is almost as important as our roaster. Well, not quite but it sure speeds up bagging:coffee:

As to the band sealer I bought one on eBay, new, made in China, thru a U.S. distributor for about $600. I bought some extra sealing bands and we've been going strong for about 2 years. It is a table top model. The same one I've seen my bag distributor in the UK selling for £1,795. The money I saved bought three 1 hp grinders ($1,400 grinders that I got for €150 euro each, brand new, but it is a long story) and a couple bags of green beans so you might want to check into that. You can adjust the machine to bag upright, which is good for us with stand-up pouches, or as a lay down. The bags go in one side and conveyor belt out the other side.

On the static issue I have run a separate ground wire from my grinders to ground. That helped immensely but there is still some static chaff sticking to the machine.

The MP-5 grinder is a workhorse. I've seen them in action and I'd certainly rather be running one of those than three of mine. In time I'm sure I'll get one. It is the next big piece of equipment on my acquisition list.

trk_koa

Aug 2, 2013
Reno, NV
Visit site
Is the rattleware scoop able to fill small 2 ounce pouches or is it too big?

We used to hire out our 2-ounce ground vacuum sealed bags that we sell during the holidays as stocking stuffers. But that company is no longer doing it. So this year we are planning to do pillow pouches (with a degassing valve).

We are too small to afford a weigh and fill machine but need ideas on filling small pouches with a minimum of mess.

Nancy

CoffeeJunky

Dec 7, 2012
Michigan, US
Visit site
I use the small plastic cup and weigh 2 ounce and mark where it is and keep filling in the same amount. I would weight about 3 or 4 times and if tt does consistent 2 ounce I just trust it is the same amount each time and fill the 2 ounce bag without weighing it further. 2 people can fill tons of those pouch per hour.

PinkRose

Super Moderator
Staff member
Feb 28, 2008
Near Philadelphia, PA
Visit site
I use the small plastic cup and weigh 2 ounce and mark where it is and keep filling in the same amount. I would weight about 3 or 4 times and if tt does consistent 2 ounce I just trust it is the same amount each time and fill the 2 ounce bag without weighing it further. 2 people can fill tons of those pouch per hour.

And then after you're finished filling tons of pouches, do you randomly select some and weight them to make sure they're actually 2 ounces? If you ever have an inspector come in to make sure you're not shortchanging your customers, that's probably what he'll do.

trk_koa

Aug 2, 2013
Reno, NV
Visit site
Hello trk_koa(Nancy), Would you please post a link on where you purchase the pillow pouch bags?
Or send me a PM please.
Thanks! Bob

We ordered the pillow pouches from a California company called Tenka Flexible Packaging. You can google them. I found them a few years ago when I was searching for a food grade forming shoe.
Nancy

expat

May 1, 2012
Ireland
Visit site
A little more is always nice.

I like it when I see the person who is measuring my coffee beans go past the pound+tare weight on the scale.

Down in Louisiana they call it 'laginappe' (lan-yap) and is "a small gift given to a customer by a merchant at time of purchase, such as a 13th doughnut when buying a dozen." We always like giving a few extra grams in our coffee bags.