Ambex YM-2 drum stops spinning..help!

bamabeaner

Nov 18, 2010
Visit site
I have something going on with my YM-2 and am looking for some quick advice. The drum stops pinning in the middle of a roast. I have checked the chain drive in the back of the drum and it is still intact and turning freely. I did find the srew holding the bearing on the drum on the front of the machine had worked loose, but have rebored and and replaced it along with greasing it. I thought that would fix it, but when I tried a roast last night, the drum stopped turning about two minutes into the roast. Does anyone have any suggestions? This is a 2003 model year roaster.

topher

Super Moderator
Staff member
Aug 14, 2003
Boca Raton
Visit site
Is the front of the drum expanding and basically rubbing on the face of the drum to the point of stopping? Or can you manually move the drum by turning the chain?

Razzo

Apr 8, 2011
Visit site
This has happened to me before. I was roasting a very small bean Ethiopian Yirgacheffe and the beans actually got stuck between the drum and the face plate. The motors were turning but the belt was slipping. I had to adjust the drum so there was less clearance between the face plate but not enough to bind when the roaster was at operating temperature. All I did was to bring the roaster up to 450F, let it soak at this heat, and then turned the large adjusting screw out on the front until I heard it scrape, then turned the screw in a touch more. Let us know how you make out with this.