Mobile Roasting

Bardo

May 13, 2013
Port Republic, MD
Visit site
I am roasting recreationally, but am interested in starting the roasting business, as are many here. I have read threads about roasting at home, or starting with the full up commercial operation, coffee shops and coffee trailers. What I have not seen (may just not have looked hard enough) is a coffee roasting trailer. I have been looking at trailers used by food preparers, that have full deep-fat fryers, with chimneys and appropriate plumbing, that have equivelant weight loads to a roaster, I think (many variables taken into consideration). I believe that such a trailer based operation would be possible, and could be advantageous. I think it would be great to carry the roaster to various locations, like fairs and farmers markets, and roast on site, while selling the coffee. I have not run the numbers on cost of such a trailer yet, but think that the outlay could be in the 40-70k range, with a modest roaster installed. Depending on the rent and other fixed and variable costs of a commercial facility, it occurs to me that the break-even point with such a trailer could be quite reasonable, and that it might have many advantages to it. And after the break even point on the initial capital outlay is reached, the expense side of the finanacial statements would look better. Has anyone tried this business model? Thank you for your thoughts.

namballe

Aug 24, 2012
Lima, Peru
Visit site
Hey Bardo, i believe you may be onto something here! farmers market for sure! who wouldn't love the waft of fresh roasting coffee before their very eyes. i would definately look more into that. i could see that being done year round as well.
Good luck and keep us posted:)

BuzzRoaster

Feb 20, 2012
Visit site
Mobile roasting is where I started. Of course my start up costs were more in the $400 - -$700 range. I traveled around to Farmers Markets and Fairs bringing only my BBQ grill, roasting drum, coffee bags and sack of green coffee. I sold literally tons of coffee that way.

BuzzRoaster

Feb 20, 2012
Visit site
Absolutely. I'm still making roasters too but honestly, I make way more money roasting coffee for a living.

I still do Fairs and Farmers Markets every once in a while but most of my time is spent roasting for accounts I managed to acquire through those local events. I mainly use those for networking.

BuzzRoaster

Feb 20, 2012
Visit site
Sorry Bardo, I didn't mean to hijack your thread. The point I was trying to make was you don't need to spend a lot of money to get into the mobile roasting business.

Bardo

May 13, 2013
Port Republic, MD
Visit site
Thanks for the input. I have been looking into the BBQ drum roasters, and assumed that that would be my first foray into the larger batch roasting. I am looking at the 10 lb drum on a 65k Btu grill. Seems to run in the 1500 range, plus the peripherals. I had not thought of taking that with me to the markets, although it would serve the same purpose while I learn the ropes and build a following. Great idea!

BuzzRoaster

Feb 20, 2012
Visit site
A lot of people that have bought my roaster are doing the same thing. It's kind of a novelty, when people see you roasting great tasting coffee in a BBQ they are amazed that its that simple. Apparently most people were under the impression there was some kind of magic involved.

Shep

Aug 27, 2004
Louisville, KY
Visit site
I've been working toward the same idea for a while now. I have already owned a wholesale roasting shop. I used to get invited to set up as a vendor at various events all the time, but just couldn't do it. As I near retirement age, I am considering going this route. I have taken a 2 kilo machine on site before, and truthfully, most people ignored it. I was a bit disappointed. I am currently trying to decide between a trailer (cheapest alternative I think) a step van or a Sprinter. And I've got to decide on what machine I'm going to take along. Window shopping for those right now. I expect to have mine on the road by this time next year as the retail face of the business.

Shep

Bardo

May 13, 2013
Port Republic, MD
Visit site
Shep,
I would love to hear more about your plans. Sounds like you are a year or so ahead of me. One thing I am pondering is how to balance a trailer with a roaster in it. You would need to ensure that the weight is properly distributed. I like the idea of the trailer because you are not tied into a propulsion plant that will get old faster than the trailer. I figure i could easily keep a trailer set-up for twenty years, but a truck may not be so lucky (or could be more expensive to repair). But the step van sounds intriguing. Buzz, would also like to hear about your roaster, if you are still marketing them.

Bardo

May 13, 2013
Port Republic, MD
Visit site
One other thing. My assumption with the trailer/mobile roasting kit is that I will be able to operate under the cottage food laws, as long as I only sell at non-retail sites. What experience have you all had with this?

Thanks again!

BuzzRoaster

Feb 20, 2012
Visit site
Farmers Markets are the exception, at least in my area you are allowed to sell retail directly to customers.

Usually cottage laws only pertain to foods made in the home and brought to the event. Preparing or "roasting" at the event is a whole different set of rules. You will most likely need an inspection done of your trailer by the local Health Dept.

prairieguy

Sep 11, 2012
Saskatchewan
Visit site
I too have thought about it and found out that San Franciscan makes a 6lb roaster that they also have a very cool vintage looking mobile cart to go with as an option. You could use that for fairs, markets, and just for your own profiling as it's not directly mounted to a trailer. Come to think of it I may have to revisit this option!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Shep

Aug 27, 2004
Louisville, KY
Visit site
Bald Guy in NC started out with a Sprinter and a San Franciscan at markets. There are a lot of things to think about here, which is why I have only thought and not acted yet. Coffee roasting is sensitive to the climate. Back when I had a wholesale shop I could see differences in my machine as winter turned to spring and then again to fall. This brings up some thoughts:

1. How will you control climate in a trailer/truck so you can roast in winter? Summer?
2. I just roasted 16 consecutive batches on the machine in the shop and I was sweating by the time I was done.
3. What roaster would you use? I currently roast on a US Roaster. The 3 kilo machine weighs 400lbs and has a 3'x4' footprint. That is a lot of space.

Just things to consider.

Feel free to pm me or email if you want to kick the ideas around further.

Shep